• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Never know what you will find in a musket barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threepdr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a load of squirrel shot today in a Model 1795. I bought this simi-sporterized m1795 about 10 years ago intending to restore it. It is still in original flint and barrel length, but long ago someone cut off the forarm back to the first barrel band. I really paid little attention to it till recently when I finally deceided to tackle the forearm restoration.

I took it out today and dropped a repro rammer I bought for it down the tube. I have no ideal why I had never checked this before. :redface: As I'm sure you suspected, It hit something soft and left about 2 inches sticking out of the bore! :shocked2:

After about an hour with a worm I took out lots of dirt, about 1 oz of #6 shot, and some caked black powder.

Some of the tiny scraps of newspaper were readable, but I could find no date. The type font and illustrations that I could see tells me it has been loaded since the mid 19th century or so.

So this is just a reminder, be sure to check those bores when you get an antique like this. I don't suspect if it would have gone off if I had flashed the pan, but you never know.

Did the same thing about a week ago with an old SxS Belgian shotgun. About an ounce and a quarter of BB and Number 9's. The wadding was from a magazine dated December 24, 1944. I lit the powder with a match. Yep, we have to be careful!
:grin:

Your experience is not as uncommon as you might think, and YES the load would have still fired. You can never be too careful when acquireing these old guns.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Toomuch,

It would not have fired in the way you would think. After I got all the shot and paper out of it, I primed it and let it go to clear out all of the powder that was hard caked in the breech. There may have been the equivent of 20-30 grains left in it. When it ignited it burned like fuse for about 3 or 4 seconds OUT OF THE VENT. It ended the show with a small cough of smoke from the muzzle. The powder was so caked and degraded it could not burn quickly like standard black powder.

Like many old flint muskets, the vent hole is enormous. Plenty of moisture and dirt had gotten in the powder through the years by way of the vent. After I was sure all the powder was gone I was able to clean the bore thoroughly. That load that was put in 140 odd years ago will be its last.

Other muskets, especially percussion, could have very potent loads left in them.

We have an antique gunshow once a year. People bring all sorts of front stuffers and suppository guns in to buy sell or trade. We make everyone prove that they are empty. We get at least one front stuffer a year that is loaded. The owner is always astonished when we send him and his gun back out to the parking lot.

Many Klatch

I have read of several incidents where old muzzleloaders found in wood-sheds,out-housed and barns that fired off with loads that were 100+ years old, in a few cases it actually caused a fatality. I bought a Renegade at a pawn shop that was fully loaded and only needed a cap to touch it off. Always best to check every weapon you handle, for a load.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. A lot of people probably kept their guns loaded back in the day for the same reasons people do now. Then grampa dies and everyone just assumes that old gun of his was unloaded. With it being a muzzleloader, you can't just open up the action and check so a loaded gun ends up getting passed along.

I have read old timers would sometimes stuff money down the barrel.Seems like an odd place to put ones money.Of course,the weapon was not charged w/ powder.That would be fun to find some old bills ,see what they looked like and all.Best regards,J.A.

This just proves how true my First Rule of Firearms is: NEVER trust what somebody tells you about whether or not a gun is loaded--always check for yourself!

Where in Indiana is your antique gun show? I live in southern Indiana between Louisville and Indianapolis. I'd like to attend sometime.

The Conner Rifles Gun show, usually the first or second week of February. We have been high grading the show for years. No cammo, no nazi, no Kmart. Everything is as authentic as we can keep it. Timeline is from bows to cowboy.

Many Klatch

I make it a point to ALWAYS check any new-to-me muzzleloader. Several years ago I got a double barrel original at auction. It was found in the joists of an old blacksmith shop. YEP! Checked it out and both barrels were loaded and had been for many years from the looks of the pulled charges.

Back