• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New 54 cal rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby James

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This weekend I had my local gun store hold a Pedersoli Hawken Muzzle loader in .54 cal for me. The only problem it has is some shipping damage. It has a little chip on the corner of the butt stock. I have no problem with fixing this by just smoothing it out but I really want a new stock. I wrote to Pedersoli but I am sure it will be a few days before they return my e-mail.

Does anybody know if they do sell replacement stocks and if so do you think they would sell me the Rocky Mountain Stock that is Curly Maple wood instead of just regular Walnut?

Also I noticed that the trigger guard is not flush with the stock but sets on top of the wood. Is there anybody here that can fix that to where the hardware is flush with the wood?

I want to shoot a round that has a flat nose to it. What is there?

I know I just have to find the sweet spot as far as loads go but is 120gr to 130gr in the right starting area? I only use real BP.

Has anybody here owned one of these rifles and do people realize how nice they are? I am freaking out on how nice this is.

I own a Thompson Seneca in .36 cal that I thought was nice but this thing make the Thompson look like a cheap imitation, does anybody else feel that away? And I love my Seneca.

120-130grns is very likely over the top of the guns recommended max charge.
You'll probably find a sweet load around 80grns.

Start with a powder load of 60 grains of 2Fg or 50 grains of 3Fg powder.

Most .54's I've owned seem to like powder charges of around 80 grains under a .530 diameter ball patched with .018 thick pillow ticking patches.

All muzzleloaders will have one or two different powder loads that shoot very accurately. The challenge is to find out which one it is. :)

My .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken likes 90 grs of 777 2F with either a .530 patched RB and .015 patch or a 435 gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. Shoots equally well with either, but the weight of the GP causes more drop out at the 100 yard mark and a bit more kick. With that thin, curved buttplate, you will know you pulled the trigger!

Look at your owner's manual for the max load. I believe it's 90 or 100 grains and you won't need more.

I've killed multiple deer with both of those loads and the roundball killed them as dead as the big Hornady. That buck in my picture was taken at 65 yards with the PRB and went about 20 to 25 yards after the hit. Sames results on another large buck I shot with PRB. I had a doe go over 80 yards after being hit through ribs on both sides dead center lungs with the Hornady. Another dropped dead in it's tracks. Your choice, but the flatter trajectory and less punishing kick of the PRB along with deadly results is a pretty good deal.

With the .530 patched RB the average through the chrono is 1933 FPS and is good for deer from point blank to 100 yards without thinking about aiming adjustment. I'm not saying there is not drop, it's just that the amount doesn't matter on deer-sized game.

You'll love your gun. Even though I'm transitioning to Flinters now, my Rocky Mtn will not be sold. It's a gem.

One more point on that huge powder charge. There is only so fast you can push a round ball. More powder after that is a waste. You are burning powder and spending money for nothing. 90 grains is a pretty good, all purpose hunting load.
And....on the conicals, 90 ought to be fine but with a heavy conical the internal pressure will increase. Huge powder charges with a round ball just waste powder but huge powder charges with a conical could create dangerous internal pressure.

If you want to replaced your stock, I'd contact Track of The Wolf or Pecatonica. They both have many different stocks and may have just what you need.

There is no need to change how your trigger guard is mounted. Many guns have the trigger guard surface mounted.

I don't see any need for conicals in a .54. A .54 caliber patched round ball will knock down anything hat you are likely to hunt. As someone else on this forum once said "You can only kill a deer so dead."

In developing a powder load, I'd recommend starting with 55 grains of 3f black powder and working up in 5 grain increments. Shoot from a good solid bench rest with sand bags. Shoot 3 to 5 rounds and then change targets and mark it with how many grains you used. Then increase your load by 5 grains. Keep doing this until you get to 100 grains. Be sure to wipe your bore between each shot with a patch that is damp with plain water. One stroke down, pause for a few seconds and one stroke out. Don't pump. Flip your damp patch over and once again, one stroke to the bottom and one single stroke out. Be very consistant in this wiping. When you are through shooting, examine each of your targets. The one with the smallest group will be the most accurate load for your rifle.

Bobby James said:
This weekend I had my local gun store hold a Pedersoli Hawken Muzzle loader in .54 cal for me. The only problem it has is some shipping damage. It has a little chip on the corner of the butt stock. I have no problem with fixing this by just smoothing it out but I really want a new stock. I wrote to Pedersoli but I am sure it will be a few days before they return my e-mail.

Does anybody know if they do sell replacement stocks and if so do you think they would sell me the Rocky Mountain Stock that is Curly Maple wood instead of just regular Walnut?

Also I noticed that the trigger guard is not flush with the stock but sets on top of the wood. Is there anybody here that can fix that to where the hardware is flush with the wood?

I want to shoot a round that has a flat nose to it. What is there?

I know I just have to find the sweet spot as far as loads go but is 120gr to 130gr in the right starting area? I only use real BP.

Has anybody here owned one of these rifles and do people realize how nice they are? I am freaking out on how nice this is.

I own a Thompson Seneca in .36 cal that I thought was nice but this thing make the Thompson look like a cheap imitation, does anybody else feel that away? And I love my Seneca.

Use the manufacturer's published data for all projectiles that you wish to use.

Thanks to everybody for the information. I just got a e-mail back from Pedersoli and they said they do have a replacement stock but have lost the price sheet but will let me know later. I really want the Rocky Mountain Stock that is made of Curly Maple but I am sure it will cost plenty but if its less than $500 I will jump on it fast.

I will post some pictures after I get back from the range this weekend.

I have the same pedersoli, in .54, externally mounted trigger guard and all. It is new to me, too, but so far I've found 60gr of 3f to be a good starting point.
Don't let the modern firearm idea of 'more power' get in the way here. This game is different. Poke around here a bit and you'll see guys taking down big game with .54's and 70-90 grains of powder. Most here will tell you that triple digit powder loads are not just unnecessary, but counterproductive.
I say this as a newbie myself, and aside from my experience with that rifle, I am referring to others' input.

I just picked up my rifle. First thought is that it is a very nice rifle. The only dislikes are.......it has modern sights which is ok but for a traditional rifle I would like buck horns and a ramp. I also wish they would have blued the barrel instead of the parkerized finish. Its nice but blue would have been nice also.

Pictures soon and next weekend a range report.

Does anybody have any experience of ordering a part from Europe? How long does it take to get here. Wont customs hold it for a long time? Can it even get thru with a government shutdown?

If you're talking about replacement sights, no reason to order from Europe. Lotsa US vendors and a huge array of styles.

Only thing you might run into is metric dovetails on your barrel and 3/8" bases on US sights. Not a problem, because fortunately the metric bases/dovetails are smaller. A few minutes with a file converts a 3/8" sight to "metric." :wink:

Back