• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .54 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoadRat said:
I did find out that off the bench the top end of the butt plate stabs my shoulder something fierce :shocked2: I'll have to make a range pad for it.

Dunno about your bench methods or build, but I experienced the same thing. Here's what I've done to stop it even with big boomers, while also shrinking groups:

I sit real upright at the bench with my chest or gut right up against the bench, depending on height. I then use whatever it requires to get the gun high enough to shoot in that position. Last and most important step is to get my left arm (I'm a lefty) out and horizontal to the table so I can move the butt out on the arm rather than in the shoulder pocket where I shoot CF arms. Steadiest shooting is when I can rest that elbow on something. Right arm and elbow obviously for a rightie.

The biggest part of the whole deal is to get that arm out flat and move the butt out onto my arm while being steady, however I manage it.

Thanks Brown Bear,

Ill give it a try as I like the feel of the butt stock when shooting offhand. It sounds like this gets you into that positin.

RoadRat said:
...just not quite a sufficient diameter...it’s a little tight to get the rod in.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRILL THE HOLE TO A LARGER DIAMETER ...you open yourself up to many potenial problems...drilling through the web, through the bottom of the stock, into the lock mortise, just to name a few.

The proper fix is to taper the ramrod as were the originals. It's a gentle taper from around the entry pipe to the end. Clamp the rod secruely in a vise or to the top of a bench and use a scraper, turn the rod every so often. You can also chuck the rod in a drill or lathe chuck and use a file, then sand paper while it's turning. Many ways to skin that cat.

Don't get carried away and keep trying the rod in the gun until it fits and then take off a hair more.

Good luck and Enjoy, J.D.

Back