• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new flintlock I just got!! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodshunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought id share. I just got this yesterday. Had it at a local gun store. Its a 45 cal douglas barrel. Pete allen lock. Curly maple stock. German silver. The bore is like brand new. What do yall think? Any ideas what the value would be? Just wondering. I havent shot it yet but I will soon. Ill get some more pics up later

20130219_180636.jpg

20130219_180903.jpg

20130219_180919.jpg

I think you're going to be absolutely miserable with this gun and in an effort to keep you interested in this past-time and prevent your disappointment from affecting your shooting in the future, you just pack that thing up and send it to me to dispose of. OK?

Nice find. A word of advice though....it's always a good idea to unbreach any of these mid 20th century builds and ensure it was done properly. Douglas sold their barrels without breech plugs and they were not always installed properly by the builder. Even if built today this is sometimes a problem.

If it appears to be otherwise unfired, 'twer mine I'd likely "proof" the breeched barrel while out of the stock also. In the words of Ronald Reagan, "Trust, but verify."

Enjoy your new gun, J.D.

Yws ive already at it checked out. Everything is good to go. It was shot before. But it couldent uave ben much. The bore is really clean for a black powder. Thanks for all the comments

Is that curly maple or birds eye, either way it is one beautiful piece of wood...if'n it is birdseye ye might think of git'n rid of it...friend of mine had one and said it drove him crazy :youcrazy: thought he was always being watched! :shocked2:Don't listen to Yakimaman he don't know noth'n bout dispos'n of such a gun, ye best send that crazy gun to me for proper care..er...dispos'n of! :rotf:

Your gun has some age on it. Douglas stopped selling barrels for use in muzzle loading back in the 80's. I love the quilted maple stock. Should be a shooter, my guns with Douglas barrels always shot extremely well.

Many Klatch

Looks fine all the way.
That lock is a Siler built by Pete Allen. He knows a thing or three about building Siler locks. I have one. If ye get a chance, try (good) sawn agate flints in it, I'll betcha they will work like whipped monsters.

That's a real beauty,hope she shoots good for you. Waiting impatiently on more pictures,want to see the how the buttplate,and forecap looks. Did you mortgage the farm?

Actully I didnt pay much. I payed $150 for it. An thanks everyone for the comments. And yes its birds eye maple.

you will indeed be completely dissapointed with this rifle, and i am highly qualified to dispose of such potentially life changing problems at a very nominal cost to you ...

this is a limited time offer, and if you act in the next five nanoseconds, i will ship to you, completely free of cost or obligation, this set of cheap steak knives which I can't unload anywhere else,

BUT YOU MUST ACT NOW!!!

seriously- that's a tremendous looking rifle and may well be worth about ten times what you paid ... call it unrealized capital gains on your next 1040!

make good smoke!

Can't say much on value but at today's prices you're lookin' at close to $700 on parts maybe more with that premium stock.

I bought a couple of Douglass-barreled flinters of the net the last few years; $800 and $850 + shipping. If the rest of the workmanship is ok you're probably looking at a similar price, maybe up to $1000. It was common practice in the `70's and `80's to expose the barrel maker name like that, similar to a factory gun. We don't do that any more, but that is not a plus for the gun's value.

Wow, Beautiful. That wood is called "Quilted Birdseye" Hard to find, I know tried not long ago. I get tired of seeing the Curly Maple, while it is beautiful wood, it doesn't hold a candle to what you have right there.
RFMcD

You made a great buy,the price on that Siler lock today at Track of the Wolf,is $149.95. That's not including shipping fees.

Back when Douglas was selling barrels they would put their name stamp on the side of the barrel with the runout. If you mounted the barrel with the name on the top, the runout would be pointed up which made it easier to get sights to work. So it wasn't a style thing.

Many Klatch

Back