• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkingrph

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just ordered Caywood Southern Mountain Rifle Cal 36. Really liked plain elegant look and light weight(28ga Darne double bbl shotgun at 5.5lbs got me to liking light weight).
Started collecting accessories for shooting. Have wanted to do this for 30 years. Tried a Dixie Gun works kit in late 80's and did a remarkable job on stock, much better than some commercial models, however lacked tools to drill and tap so took it to local "gunsmith"that had good reputation and he ruined the lock and did not fit drum at all, just drilled and tapped(was to be percussion model)
Later found out he had inexpericenced high school kids do some jobs as he was too interested at the time in making full auto weapons( had proper license). Anyway his lack of concern to do good job on old style gun and lack of anywhere else to turn to doused my interest for a number of years, so played with black powder cartridge guns for a while, and now will return to my first interest.

cannot wait until it arrives ::

Sorry to hear about some "gunsmith" messing up your kit but it sounds like your on you way to the world of muzzleloading, in style.

As you may have noticed, we have a forum area called Builders Bench. Lots of knowledge there and no question is too small.
After you get a few hundred rounds thru your new gun, you just may start thinking about building something a little different.

If that urge comes over you, let us know.

In the meantime remember, if you have any muzzleloading questions at all, about anything, feel free to ask. :) :front:

plan on building another later on. Now have good heavy drill press, and better woodworking tools, so will be able to do complete gun myself, drilling tapping, cutting dovetails will take a bit of time but ok.

thanks for reply

Latest posts

Back