• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New from Montana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennyDucet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings friends and countrymen. I am new here. I live in Montana, and have been around Blackpowder since I was a kid. I have always enjoyed the simple beauty of traditional blackpowder.

I never have taken the plunge, however after shooting some custom flintlocks at a recent rendezvous, I realized that I truly enjoy blackpowder more than any other firearm endeavor.

I am looking to get into a Late Lancaster TMV, and working through what I want to see in the rifle, as I hope to be historically accurate, while affordable. I am glad to be here and hope to learn from the veteran community of experienced and knowledgeable individuals on here.

Being well versed in modern firearms, this is a new era for me.

Thank you.

Denny Ducet said:
I have always enjoyed the simple beauty of traditional blackpowder.

I am looking to get into a Late Lancaster TMV, and working through what I want to see in the rifle, as I hope to be historically accurate, while affordable. I am glad to be here and hope to learn from the veteran community of experienced and knowledgeable individuals on here.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum my friend! We are glad that you have decided to join us. This forum is the best by far, when it comes to Traditional Muzzleloaders and BP shooting. We also cover all the other aspects that go along with it.

No matter what you presently have or want, it is more than likely covered in great detail right here! The majority of our members have decades of knowledge and experience. They would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. We would also be delighted to hear what you may want to share as well!

We have a friendly forum which is made up of like minded folks as yourself. Our forum is also a lively place with new topics being created on a daily basis. Something new to check out all the time!

We also have a Search feature located at the top of the forums pages. It is a great tool to utilize for research or for looking up something specific.

The learning opportunities are endless. I guarantee you will continue to grow in knowledge every time you visit this forum.

You have come to the right place and we're glad that your now with us. We also look forward to hearing more from you in the very near future.

Welcome Aboard my friend!

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. So far I am working through my first personal rifle, as all the other blackpowder I have shot until now has either been my dads or friends. So far I have laid out this setup here from TVM:

So far, my narrowed idea of the perfect rifle for me is
RIGHT HANDED
Late Lancaster Brass Dark Brown Stain $1280
Swamped 54x42” $250
Deluxe Siler Jim Chambers +$50
Length of Pull 14.5”
Premium + Maple $125
Double Set Triggers
Shipping $50
Metal Browned
No Add Ons

$1755.00

Living in Montana, I spend time in Fur trade country and the upper Missouri. I hope to walk the banks of the Missouri where the Corps. of Discovery came through and shoot a deer on my friends farm out there using this rifle.

Denny Ducet said:
I have laid out this setup here from TVM:

So far, my narrowed idea of the perfect rifle for me is
RIGHT HANDED
Late Lancaster Brass Dark Brown Stain $1280
Swamped 54x42” $250
Deluxe Siler Jim Chambers +$50
Length of Pull 14.5”
Premium + Maple $125
Double Set Triggers
Shipping $50
Metal Browned
No Add Ons

$1755.00
Denny,
Sound like you have pretty much made up your mind on the type of muzzleloader you'd like to build and have done some research as well!

The only other advice I could give you at this point is to check out The Gun Builder's Bench area of this forum. I would create a Topic explaining what type of build you plan on doing as well as the parts you have already listed above.

I only say this because those guys in this area of the forum are excellent builder's with many muzzleloader's under their belts. Some of the most beautiful muzzleloader's I have ever seen come from these men. They are truly masters in this field.

You could explain to them what you plan on doing and what materials you plan to use. As well as the type of rifle you have in mind.

They could give you ideas and tricks of the trade that maybe you would not have thought of otherwise. Can save you alot of needless problems that you might run into during the course of your build.

No matter what your experience or skill level is, I would suggest giving these guys a shout and let them know what you plan to do and how you plan to go about doing it. It would be worth your while to do so!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

BTW: What part of Montana are you from? I'm originally from Cody Wyoming. Use to go up into Montana all the time. Have relatives that live in Red Lodge, Bridger, and Livingston, Montana. Beautiful Country in that state. I try to go back to Wyoming often to see my folks and cross the border into your state to see my other relatives. :)

Great advice sir. I am in NW MT. I don't plan to do the build myself. I would like to have a professional put it together. Any guys on here you may recommend?

Denny Ducet said:
I don't plan to do the build myself. I would like to have a professional put it together. Any guys on here you may recommend?
Denny, I do not have the experience to recommend a specific builder. I am not a builder but only an admirer of those who poses the talent and skills that are required to build a fine muzzleloader.

There are so many talented builder's who are members here, That I couldn't recommend any one person. They all produce amazing rifle's. Also I have no knowledge of who is building for clients and their wait times. This is all way out of my league and expertise.

The only other advice I would give is to post your question in The Gun Builder's Bench area. These Gun Builder Guy's will steer you in the right direction!

Have a good one my friend!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

Welcome from Virginia and from another newby here at the forum. Don't they also complete rifles as well as sell the components?

Back