• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new GPR - dissapointed - questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbassi

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recieved my new GPR last night. When I went to put it together this morning I realized there is a problem with the wedge pins. Neither goes in easily, but when I put the front one in I have to press the barrel down andtap it in with a rubber mallet. As soon as I do that the rear one falls right out! :curse:

I tried switching the pins front to back and inserting them from both sides. Same result.

I have an intrarms and a CVA that both have wedge pins, so I'm familiar with how tight the need to be, but with both of those guns the pins can be inserted and remove with just thumb pressure.

Is there an easy way to remidy this or should I just send it back?

To begin with the wedge pins go in from right to left from the butt end. They are a common problem with GPR. I believe the rearmost is slightly longer than the forward one---what I would do is take the rear most and try to gently bend it downwards in the middle---by tapping with a hammer while resting the end of the key on a small diameter dowel---to create a slight downwards bow to take up the slack and tighten the grip of the barrel key. A sort of reverse approach to the forward one to loosen it a wee bit. I had the problem of the keys falling out after shooting a while and "cured" it by this approach---"Remember Make Haste Slowly". :m2c:

When I got mine, both pins were exactly the same, and had the same problem. I contacted them and got new pins shipped to me. When I got them, both were the same again. I contacted them, and they wanted the gun back. Sent it back, and got it returned with the correct keys (marked "f" and "r"). Since then life has been good. It does need a "punch" to remove and "set" them. Been happy since. It only cost me the postage/insurance. See if they will pay that.

BobW

had a similar problem and put the wedges on an anvil and upset them with a six pound hammer...didn't take much to make them a tad wider..I also used a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool to cut a notch in the end of each so that a screwdriver used to drive them out would not slip and scratch the stock...Best, Hank

Are the pins getting hung up on the estucheons? I've heard of folks having that problem, and that somewhere in the paperwork that came with the gun there should be suggestions on adjusting the estucheons (filing) to get a good fit.

Thanks for the ideas folks, but I decided to send it back. If I wanted a "kit", I would have ordered a kit. Funny thing is there is a QA sticker signed right there in the box. Tells me a lot. Hopefully D&R will take care of it for me. :bull: :bull:

I bought a kit from the same outfit and returned it. They promptly sent a second one that I'm very happy with.

You'll be making smoke in no time!!

-Shooey

Just bend the slots on the barrel that the wedge pins fit thru so that they fit tighter. If there are slots that run lengthwise thru the wedges, there should be some tiny pins in the kit that are inserted in the slots so the wedges don't fall out of the stock when removing the barrel.

If you are waiting for a kit that fits together like leggos or tinker toys, you will be waiting for a long, long time.

If you are waiting for a kit that fits together like leggos or tinker toys, you will be waiting for a long, long time.

As I said, If I wanted a kit, I would have ordered a kit. I ordered a finished rifle, and although it isn't a high priced custom gun, I don't think it is out of line to expect the dang thing to go together without modification on my part. :m2c:

Back