• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
gun2-1.jpg

gun1-1.jpg

well here it is. I had bought my first flintlock from a guy here on the forum. its a 54 cal barrel with a tc lock. the pizza box is my first 3 shots at 20 yards. then i set up a pop can and other food cans and smacked them at 20 also. I really enjoy shooting flinters and it beats the heak outa a cap. thanks aaron

I just have to ask,sorry,but is the cheek piece on the wrong side or is there something that I don't know about?

Hello,

I had bought the gun from a right handed shooter. He had bought it from the person who made it that was a left handed shooter. I am a right handed shooter and the gun holds great even tho the stock was originally made for a left handed shooter. I'm wondering what type of wood was used to make this gun. Also, on the top of the shot barrel it says N Sipe 1977. If anybody has any information about this gentleman or about this time period, please let me know.

Thanks,
Aaron

Have any more pictures of your rifle in a little better lighting? That is a good looking piece of wood and I for one, would like to see more of it.Thanks for sharing.

So you are the one who bought this rifle. Being a lefty I check out EVERY left hand gun which comes up on the classifieds. From my discussion with the previous owner I believe that is birds eye maple. A very nice wood which makes a great gunstock, though not seen often in early muzzleloaders. You mentioned it is a .54. I was under the impression it was a .50 and had a .62 smooth barrel with it. If I'd known it was a .54 I might have pursued it more aggresively. Either way you made a great deal, I hope it serves you well. :thumbsup:

Snow

Interesting trigger & guard. Looks like the guard was designed for a double set trigger but I only see one trigger and it appears to be well forward in the bow. Is this common?
I'd guess that whoever did the work on this rifle decided to do away with the original trigger system in favor of a single trigger but kept the guard as is.

the guy said it was a 50 but after trying a 50 ball that slid down the barrel it was not. i tryed a 54 ball and it works alot better

I'd bet he never shot the rifle. I have taken more deer with a .530 RB than any other single projectile. A .54 is a super all around caliber for big game up to and including elk. You did good "Pilgram"...

Snow

Back