• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Guy from New York

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dholdridge

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello- I'm from upstate NY and just purchased a Lyman .50 FL Trade Rifle- I guess you could say I gave in to peer pressure after my buddy got himself a Pennsylvannia rifle.

I've only put about 50 rounds down range but am already hooked- planning on taking this Friday off to zero in and really get to know the rifle.

Thanks for a great place to get some great information. Hope you don't mind a lot of questions!

hodge: welcome: lyman trade 50 cal. flinter looks like you got bitten with the BP bug
Have fun shooting ::

Welcome Hodge. Let me know how that Lyman Trade rifle shoots. Im kind of leaning towards buying one of those myself. Word is they are good shooters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where abouts are you in Wayne Co? I go back and forth between Onondaga and Monroe regular. Shoot at Williamson?
Deal w/ Black Powder Bill at Iron Mike's?

Hodge: It seems there are many folks from upstate N.Y.getting into sidelock muzzleloading.I,m from Saratoga Co. (many years ago) Was always good hunting area. WELCOME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ::

hodge,
Welcome. I'm from upstate New York, Washington County, around Glens Falls.
I call Alaska home now but it's always nice to go back to the Adirondacks now and then to hunt.
Lot's of great information on here for the beginner.
I have a .54 caliber percussion Trade Rifle I just got a few weeks ago.
I put a Lyman 57SML peep on the rear and a Lyman 37ML on the front ans it really helped tighten my groups down range.
Good luck with your flinter.

Huntin

out_a_huntin I used to hunt up in washinton county and sometimes stayed at the cambridge hotel in town many years ago. ::

Hi Blckhrn-

I'm in Palmyra- I bought the rifle from Gander Mountain. I've heard of Black Powder Bill and have been to the Apple Town Gun Shop a couple of times but don't know the guys. I didn't know Iron Mike's handled BP.

I also go to Liberty Gun Shop in Canandaigua.

Are there shoots year round in our neck of the woods?

Huntin-

Backpacked in to the mountains just south of Old Forge at the beginning of deer season last fall- it was beautiful but I doubt it compares to Alaska!

No deer but coyote out the wazoo-

I'm currently (moved back) in Syracuse area after a long stay in Rochester where I own a house. I've been driving by Elbridge R+G club where I used to shoot as a kid, looking for activity. They used to hold 4 each, rendezvous and BP matches per year at least but that was 30 years ago. I'm a lifetime member there but have been away for a long time.

35 years ago there were only a handful of cliubs doing BP, Elbridge was one (in NYS)

Oh yeah, on the east wall of Iron Mike's directly across from the counter BPB has a little counter set up. He works a couple jobs though, hard to find. Fair dealer.

Welcome.I have owned a Lyman trade rifle in percussion for many years and is a great rifle as far as I am concerned.
Ask questions and you can learn a lot on this site.

Back