• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hawken Woodsman at the range!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

After getting my new Ardesa/Traditions Woodsman Hawken in .45 with 1 in 66" ROT I first replaced the buckhorn iron sight to an AimRight fieber optic sight. At the range I tested the rifle at 50m freestanding with 50 grs Wano PP and .440 PRB. But I was not so confident, think I'll go back to my 60 grs target load which is well in the .45 Deerhunter.I was able to shoot 126 rings with 15 shots, 150 possible.
After that I tested the rifle with 75 grs Wano PP and .452 Dia Maxiballs(240grs). The result was outstanding: 48 rings with 5 shots, 4x bull, 1x 8. The 4 bulls were at 1.5" together. So this rifle wants harder loads which are also well for hunting!

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm glad you found a load your rifle likes.

As you know, many of us here on the forum recommend light loads to new shooters, especially for for target shooting but your post points out a important bit of information.

For the new shooters: Each gun, no matter what the caliber or twist or barrel length, it will have its own favorite powder/ball/patch load and the only way to find out what your gun likes best is to try different combination's.

If the patch is not burned or ripped then the ball/patch/lube is probably about right.
Trying different powder loads, some of them being larger than one would think is needed for a paper target may be just the answer for your guns best accuracy.

Latest posts

Back