• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"New" Jackie Brown Fowler just arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jckrabbit

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Never having owned a flintlock I guess I'd know what to expect. It took a loooong time to find a gun that looked like what I wanted, but the Jackie Brown fowler finally showed up on Track of the Wolf's website and I bought it. I cannot say enough about the service and guidance I recieved from these fine people. The gun itself seems to everything I could have wanted and more. Lord willing,I'll get to shot it (her?) this afternoon. Sorry i don't have any pictures. I'm a techno-peasant,that's why I bought a flinter.

Thanks again to all that post here. It continues to be emensely helpful.

Jckrabbit

Congratulations on your fowler, I have one of Jackie's smoothbores and have been very happy with it. Should serve you well.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I have one of Jackies smooth bores and it is one of my favorites. It is one of his early guns and I seriously doubt if I`ll ever part with it!

OK, So this afternoon after work I met up with my friend Jckrabbit . . . yes we made some smoke . . . Lots of fun too!

Here are a few pictures of the FUN I took of him!
Dusty-Muzzleloader20Bore001s.jpg

Dusty-Muzzleloader20Bore006s.jpg

Dusty-Muzzleloader20Bore008s.jpg

Since were both new at this kinda fun . . . here are a few questions . . . we were using 60 grains of Grafs FFFg in the bore with a PBR . . . here is the only patch we could find (it was quite windy!)What does that tell you . . . the balls had a "flashing" still on it, loaded sprue first . . .
Dusty-Muzzleloader20Bore002s.jpg

Is this too much powder in the pan? Not enough? We didn't measure it just dumped some FFFg in . . .
Dusty-Muzzleloader20Bore005s.jpg

Did I say this was FUN!

Can't edit my previous post . . .

Should read Sprue LAST, as in we put the ramrod on the sprue . . .

And it was PRB, not a "PBR"! :yakyak:

We were just making smoke, and didn't really sight it in, just aim towards a chicken and touch it off! 2 of the 8 chickens won't be laying anymore eggs! :grin: 24 - 40 yards . . .

How did the cleaning go Jckrabbit? :idunno:

I generally prefer to head shoot chickens with a .22 Short but to each his own! :haha:

I think you could use a better lube on that patch, and a thicker patching, or a larger diameter ball. You have the one burn hole. It may suggest there is a sharp edge on the muzzle of the barrel, but I would be more confident if such a cut or burn hole appears in every patch in the same place.

I would suggest using a oil and beeswax lube, like WonderLube, or make your own. Coat the patching the day before so it has time to infiltrate all the fibers in the fabric. You can zap the lubed patches in a micro-wave, to hurry up this process, but limit your "zaps" to a series of 5 second bursts, so you can open the micro-wave, and feel the patching. That will tell you when the patches and lube are getting too HOT. You don't want to STINK yourself out of the house!

Why do I think the patching should be thicker? The dark line where the powder is trying to push past the patch is very thin, IMHO. It should be much wider, in a smoothbore. If you are using .018" patching, then move up to .020" patches, or even .024" patches. If they are adequately lubed, you will have no problem pushing the thicker patches down the bore.

Oh, you might also help the "cause" by lubing the bore AFTER Seating the PRB, by running a heavily greased patch down the barrel, and back out. The Extra Lube will help that patch stay lubed as it comes out of that long barrel, and keep the residue soft.

You can also use an OP wad to help seal gases behind the PRB, and eliminate the need to find just the Exact Right Thickness of patching material for that particular ball diameter/bore diameter combination. An OP wad will insure complete burning of powder, a higher velocity( about 50-100 fps, depending on the gun and load)and a lower Standard Deviation of Velocity, from shot to shot, insuring better groups. With the higher temperature that occurs with a tight OP wad, the complete burning of the powder leaves much less powder residue, and the residue is much more fine in quality- easy to remove with a damp patch, followed by a dry patch, or 2.

I don't think that 60 grains charge is too much. My data manual from Hodgdon shows loads for the 20 gauge running from 2 drams( 55 grains) to 2 1/2 drams(69 grains), and shot loads of 5/8 and 3/4 oz. Most of us are used to shooting 1 oz loads, which probably are not necessary when hunting small game. :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul!

I was asking about the powder in the pan . . .

It looked more like a tear, than a burn in the patch to us . . . we thought it may have been a bit of flashing on the ball from the old style bag mold we used that caused it . . . or would that be squished down on ramming?

I did not personally run the ramrod, but it apeared that Jckrabbit was working hard to push it down . . . once it was moving it seemed to go easier, but when he went to get another grip on the rod, it was a struggle all over . . . He also is not the tallest person in the world :grin: :rotf: . . . :grin:

How much preasure should it take to ram a ball down a smoothbore? I was gonna suggest a thinner patch? (but what do I know? :idunno: )

I believe he made up a mix for lube of olive oil & crisco . . . he could tell you better about % of them, they looked greasy enough to me that after he loaded a ball that there was some on his fingers . . .

My patches are plastered in beef fat and a little bees wax. I can stick a patch on the side of the barrel prior to loading etc.

Looks dry there on the day, maybe the foul was to crusty. Blowing down the empty tube can add some moisture to the fouling when shooting one after the other.

Glad for ya friend :thumbsup:

Brits.

Yeah . . . were in the desert! about 20% humidity . . . we did blow down the barrel after each shot, and watched the smoke come out the vent . . .

Edit to add: There was no noticable difference in loading difficulty from shot #2 - #8 . . . seemed about the same . . .

Thanks 123DB for posting the pics!

The cleaning went well. I tried to follow what I'd read on Dutch Schoultz's web page. Very little water, alcohol,moose milk, WD-40, and a final wipe down of Rem oil. I left the oil patched ramrod in the gun over night, pulled it out this morning and no rust!

I do have a couple of questions as far as cleaning goes. 1)How often should I take the lock off?? Due to fading light I didn't last night. 2) Should I remove the flint and leather each cleaning?

I love this little gun and getting to shot it for the first time on the day we lost Fess Parker was an added blessing.

Jckrabbit

Britsmoothy said:
My patches are plastered in beef fat and a little bees wax. I can stick a patch on the side of the barrel prior to loading etc.

Looks dry there on the day, maybe the foul was to crusty. Blowing down the empty tube can add some moisture to the fouling when shooting one after the other.

Glad for ya friend :thumbsup:

Brits.

does that draw flies?

Its not so much what lube you use, but when its put on the fabric, when it involves any kind of grease. Grease( and wax) take time to penetrate the fibers of the weave. You can speed the process up by heating the greased fabric, but basically, you need to grease patches at least a day before you are going to use them.

Only if you are going to use water, spit, or a water based "lube" on a patch- at a range- where you are going to fire the gun within seconds of it being loaded, can you Lube patches At the Range, without problems.

All PRB should be run down with a Hand-over-hand motion, with the two hands never being more than 8 inches apart. If the patch is lubed enough, It should not Stop and Start as you have described. With a proper Hand-over-hand technique the rod should continue to move down during the transition from one hand to another. Slow and easy, but without the jerks.

Way too many men seem anal-compulsive-- afraid of getting their hands dirty, among other things. I don't know what they think goes on when shooting BP guns! :shocked2: :idunno:

Here's a NEWS FLASH to new BP shooters: You ARE GOING TO GET DIRTY LOADING AND CLEANING YOUR GUN. Most of the residue is CARBON!( SOOT!) You need to take rags or towels with you, Water, a bit of liquid soap, and both shooting patches, and thinner, Cleaning patches with you whenever you are going to shoot your gun! If I shoot at a club where there is a loading bench available, I go back to my truck and take out my water bottle, my paper towels, and any rags and soap I have stashed there, to take up to the loading bench. I make them available to other shooters, most of whom Marvel At MY THOUGHTFULNESS!!???? :shocked2: :hmm:

I also get comments on my loading technique,, as I turn my hands away from me( thumbs down) and grab the rod ONLY with my fingers. If a powder charge fires off and pushes that rod up through my hands, the Normal reaction of my hand( and yours) is to open the fingers. If you are holding the rod with your thumb closed around it, the movement will cause you to grip( or try to grip) the rod Harder, making it possible for your jag to rip your thumb off your hand! :shocked2: :idunno: :hmm:

I call my grip technique the " Monkey Grip" after observing monkeys and chimps in zoos, and seeing that they almost never close their thumbs around a tree limb when moving, by grabbing the limb with their fingers. Grabbing with just the fingers allows them to move smoothly from one hand to the other as they travel through the treetops. You can use the same fingers only grip, with your thumbs up, and palms facing you, provided You make a studied effort to fold that thumb down next to your index finger, and keep it there, rather than using it to grab the rod in a fist.

An inspection of the crown of the muzzle will discover quickly if there is a rough spot or sharp edge that is cutting that patch. ALways RECOVER YOUR PATCHES FROM THE GROUND WHEN WORKING ON LOADS. Read the patches. They will tell you what you are doing RIGHT, and what needs to change. :hmm: If you don't own a copy of Dutch Schoultz's material, get it. Its the best $20.00 investment in your education about MLers that you can make.
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Best wishes to your friend and his musket. :thumbsup:

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of muzzles I recently felt some roughness around the crown of my 58 with my finger nail. I polised the muzzle with some 600 wet n' dry around a ball. I did not test on a target but I did get more rabbits with it than the time before :hmm:

Brits.

Jck: Looks to me like you might do as well with about half that much powder in your pan. Might give it a try. I have had the pleasure of shooting one of Jackie's guns, and it was fast and accurate. He builds good stuff!

Latest posts

Back