• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Cedar Park, TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Y'all!

I'm new to both muzzleloaders in general and to the forum as well. I’ve always wanted to build a muzzleloading flintlock firearm ever since I saw the gunsmith at Williamsburg, VA when I was 6 (I'm now 65 and retired). Having been born and raised in York, PA, I would love to build a York rifle, but for numerous reasons, I will instead opt for an American pistol, probably from a Cabin Creek Muzzloader "kit" - their shop is < 5 mi from where I grew up.

In any event, I recently purchased what appears to be a North African Jezail Camel Gun with a snaphaunce lock. Though it's currently pretty filthy, from what I can tell the lock appears to be complete minus two of the three screws that attach it to the stock. and I hope to recondition it to working order, if possible. I noticed a thread here titled "Anyone shooting N. African snaphaunces?", and expect to add to that discussion.

Bob Lyon, Cedar Park, TX

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

Recommend that the first time you fire that Jezail you put the butt inside an old tire, tie the barrel to the upper opposite sidewall of the tire, and use a 50 ft string to fire it remotely. Just in case.

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

Recommend that the first time you fire that Jezail you put the butt inside an old tire, tie the barrel to the upper opposite sidewall of the tire, and use a 50 ft string to fire it remotely. Just in case.

Or ask your mother-in-law to 'give 'er a try!

Hello Y'all!

I'm new to both muzzleloaders in general and to the forum as well. I’ve always wanted to build a muzzleloading flintlock firearm ever since I saw the gunsmith at Williamsburg, VA when I was 6 (I'm now 65 and retired). Having been born and raised in York, PA, I would love to build a York rifle, but for numerous reasons, I will instead opt for an American pistol, probably from a Cabin Creek Muzzloader "kit" - their shop is < 5 mi from where I grew up.

In any event, I recently purchased what appears to be a North African Jezail Camel Gun with a snaphaunce lock. Though it's currently pretty filthy, from what I can tell the lock appears to be complete minus two of the three screws that attach it to the stock. and I hope to recondition it to working order, if possible. I noticed a thread here titled "Anyone shooting N. African snaphaunces?", and expect to add to that discussion.

Bob Lyon, Cedar Park, TX
I have friends nearby at Thomasville; once they moved there, the York style rifles became my favorites. (I'm overloaded with stuff and won't be getting one, but the Horns and rifles I like). One of them works at the H-D plant, a rather famous York business! I contacted Cabin Creek recently as I have a lock they will work on for me. Only thing w/ the snaphaunces, is quality control around the barrels! They don't exactly scream "high quality", if you know what I mean. Best of luck!

Hello Y'all!

Bob Lyon, Cedar Park, TX
Welcome from Turnersville, TX, just a stone's throw from Ft. Hood. Just me and another friend shoot at my simple gun range. Not many folks around here shoot black powder.

Hello Y'all!

Bob Lyon, Cedar Park, TX
Welcome Bob, I’m new as well and am down the street in Fort Worth.

Back