• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member seeking buying advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stick with the great plains with 1-60 twist over the deer stalker 1-48. Im not saying that 1-48 wont shoot roundballs because it will. I just think the slower twist will be more forgiving and have better ability to shoot more shots without cleaning. If you want to shoot other than roundballs you can pick up lymans 1-32 twist hunter barrel.

The 1:60 twist barrel will shoot roundballs with very large powder loads quite nicely and aren't quite as picky about the patch thickness.

The 1:48 twist barrels will shoot roundballs with almost as much powder but they usually like a tight patch/ball combination to get the best accuracy.

Either twist will work with up to 80 grains of powder and that is enough powder to hunt deer with.

Ok, so I shelled out some cash today. I ordered a Lyman Deerstalker. I was impressed with all the positive comments regarding the quality of Lyman's muzzleloaders. I liked the features of the Deerstalker the best, and I found a website of a guy who makes drop in barrels for the Deerstalker. If I can't get the thing to shoot round balls well, I can order a barrel for it with a slower twist.

I decided to go with the .54 caliber percussion rifle. I bought the Lyman receiver sight and globe front sight to go with it. I also bought all the accessories I think I'll need to get started. The accessories were about as expensive as the rifle! The only things I know I'm missing are cleaning supplies and black powder.

So now on to my next questions. First, what is the preferred method of cleaning? How do you clean at the range, and how about at home? I can't imagine anyone brings buckets of soap and water to the range, so what do you do? I'm sure this process is explained in the book I bought, Lyman blackpowder handbook, but I figured I'd see what most folks actually do.

Second question: where do you guys get your black powder? I saw that Track of the Wolf has it, but I don't want to buy 25 pounds!

Thanks for your help so far. I used some of the sights you guys suggested. I'll be pretty excited to see the mailman come this week.

28mtnfisher said:
what is the preferred method of cleaning? How do you clean at the range, and how about at home?
There isn't one; there are as many methods of cleaning as there are people doing it. At home, my personal opinion is lukewarm water and soap, followed by clear rinse, followed by thorough drying with towels and patches, completed with a mineral oil (currently Ballistol, see separate thread under Shooting Accessories). You will get many different answers to this question.

At the range I use a patch wetted with a bp solvent such as TC's No. 13 (again, many different opinions on what product - water or even spit is probably just as good as anything) followed by a dry patch between shots, then a couple of wet and a couple of dry at the end of the session until I get home.

28mtnfisher said:
Second question: where do you guys get your black powder?
I buy it locally (I'm lucky to have a shop just 50 miles away) for $15/lb. The least expensive way, however, is bulk mail order purchase. Many threads on this topic; see the latest at: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236847/

Last edited by a moderator:
:cursing: I have gotten most of the accesories, but due to a MAJOR screw-up and terrible service by D&R sports I still don't have my rifle. I ended up having to buy it from another vendor, so hopefully it will be here by this coming weekend. I'm pretty eager to try this out.

I have a few other questions. I have noticed several people mention using FFFG powder with the most success. I found some locally and bought a pound of FFFG and a pound of FFG. Is there one that is most likely to do best with a 1:48 twist short barrel .54 rifle? Also, what size are most of the Lyman bores? Should I be using .530 balls or .535 balls? I thought .530 was preferred, so I ordered them. I don't have any .535 balls. Should I get some?

I have a few other questions. I have noticed several people mention using FFFG powder with the most success. I found some locally and bought a pound of FFFG and a pound of FFG. Is there one that is most likely to do best with a 1:48 twist short barrel .54 rifle? Also, what size are most of the Lyman bores? Should I be using .530 balls or .535 balls? I thought .530 was preferred, so I ordered them. I don't have any .535 balls. Should I get some?

Try both powders and both ball sizes as well as a variety of patch thicknessess. read your patches after each combo to see what is holding up the best.

Back