• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmyoung

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a chance to shoot my new .50 Pedersoli Penn long rifle. Put four shots touching at 50 ft off hand. :wink: Started with a cut flint that I had to grind off, then switched to a Tom Fuller flint, also shortened. The cock sems to be too close to the frizzen to let a regular length flint work. How can that be corrected? I plan to work on the frizzen spring, thanks to the posted articles about tuning, but the cock position at half-cock is really close. BTW, Track of the Wolf did ship very fast.

As long as the frizzen closes at halfcock, then the length is good. You may want to order a 1/8" smaller flint.

Fixing your particular rifle is a job for a gunsmith. It could involve heating the hammer to bend it further back. Of course you have to make sure that it is still striking the frizzen where it is supposed to and is properly hardened. Since you are also talking about work on your frizzen spring, you may want to find someone who can tune your lock. Try the smaller flint first.

OK, but where can you get a flint that is 1/2" long and 5/8" wide? The ones I ordered came 1/2" wide x 5/8" long.If I use a regular lenght flint, not only will the frizzen not close, but the flint will strike over the top of th frizzen.

Sounds like yours is worst then mine. mine is just hard on flints. Quality control must not be getting better. Dilly

Does it do the same thing with the flint bevel up and down? Depending on the flint, if the bevel is down on mine, the frizzen may not close.

I have the same gun and Rich Pierce is a good source for special size flints. I ended up with 1/2 by 5/8" flints notched in the rear. P/S, my first grouping, benched, produced a clover leaf at 25yds and a 2 1/2 group at 50yds. Have since gone into smoothbore and am looking to sell the Penn. but only with regret as I cannot get more toys without selling some of my existing toys.

Back