• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdbailey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My 58 cal. barrel sustained serious rust damage when a cleaning jag broke off in it and I was not able to remove it for a couple of weeks. I got the rust out but it is heavily pitted. Can anyone refer me to someone who can re-cut the rifling?

Smoke Eater,
I would not push the panic button. Clean it the best you can, and then go try it. If it shoots as accurate as it did before, I would forget it. That is, unless you want the barrel to be better than before. Just my opinion
Flintlocks Forever
Lar :thumbsup:

Clean it up with a green scotch-brite pad on a cleaning jag. It will be fine. Been there with a load left in a barrel. It didn't hurt the accuracy at all. The scotch-brite pad will slick it all up so it won't grab the patching on the loads.

I too would not worry at this point. One of my first rifles was a repro 1863 Springfield. I got it when I was 13. No one in my family knew anything about muzzleloaders so I did not clean it correctly for a very long time. When I did make it around to meeting people who also shot, someone put a bore light down my barrel and let me look. The bore was so rough that I though it would never shoot well again. I cleaned it up correctly and then put some 0000 steel wool on a jag and passed it in the barrel for 30 seconds or so and continued to use the musket. Today, some 20 years later, it is one of the best shooting muskets I have. And the bore became very bright with use and correct cleaning over the years.
Brian

yeah, not to worry. it'll clean up. get a 3M hanpad at ACE hardware, medium grit and cut a 'patch' from it or wrap a strip around a bore brush. and get ready to expend elbow grease. it'll shine up.

You might want to put a dose of Flitz on that pad from time to time in the scrubbing process.

How deep was the jag in the barrel?

How deep is the pitting?

What have you done so far?

What type of barrel and breech?

There are things that you can do, but these questions might give options. Some good suggestions have already been given, so I will look in other areas to try to help.

CS

pits are probably .004
plug was approx. halfway down the barrel
I have done 3m pad, 0000 steel wool, naval jelly,JB
Getz barrel with breech plug

You can get a Fire Lap kit from Midway Supply. Just roll some mini-balls in the compound and clean the gun after each shot. You will have the bore back to new in short order. That is unless the damage is in the very bottom of the barrel. :thumbsup:

Assuming that you have gotten the rust from the pits, I would shoot and just clean it well.

I guess that you could try chasing out the rifling in some manner, but I would contact Mr. Getz before trying that. He might be willing to do something to help you.

CS

Just save yourself some trouble and go to the nearest auto supply shop and buy some fine grit valve lapping compound. Lube up a cleaning patch and run it up and down your barrel until it feels smooth. It will be like new again.

Back