• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Skinning Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischereco2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a knife I just finished as a Christmas gift for someone. It was a bit of a rush job since the person only told me they wanted it last week. Still have some fit and finish work to attend to and a sheath to stitch before I wrap it up.

This is a pretty modern take of the 'Nessmuk' style knife, so I hope no one minds me posting it here. Forged out of 1084 carbon steel, "brute de forge" style, curly maple scales with brass pins. The person I made it for wanted a really beefy bushcraft type knife so this one is 3/16 thick, feels very solid in the hand. Not normally my style of knife but I think the receiver will be happy. Also the first knife I've been able to put my new touch-mark on. I need to practice a bit, I had sort of a faint strike but I'll learn.

I want to say this is knife number 6 or 7 but I'm losing count. Thanks for looking!

2015-12-21%2021.52.49_zpslkbi5tg1.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.53.36_zpsuts0ew4d.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.56.52_zpsvp4hygbt.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.55.43_zpsrinyvhtd.jpg

2015-12-21%2023.13.19_zpscle1eisx.jpg

Hopefully that'll give you an idea of the thickness. Probably overkill but I wanted a knife that would stand up to abuse like batoning. It feels comfortable enough though despite being so chunky.

3/16th is pretty thick, but that's fine. 1/8in would have been fine. You would be suprised how many production knives are a lot slimmer than you'd think. Start looking at blade thicknesses in stores, many out door knives are 1/16! If you want to make a battoner, you may want to think about differential hardening...keeping the spine soft.
I really like it though!

I agree. So far all of my knives have been 1/8 or 1/16 thick. I think historically knives were much thinner and quicker than a lot of the reproductions you see today. This was sort of a special case where I was making a knife to someone else's specifications rather than for my own enjoyment. It's functional though, very sharp and more deft than one would think for such a beast. Thanks for the advice and compliments I appreciate it.

fischereco2 said:
Here is a knife I just finished as a Christmas gift for someone. It was a bit of a rush job since the person only told me they wanted it last week. Still have some fit and finish work to attend to and a sheath to stitch before I wrap it up.

This is a pretty modern take of the 'Nessmuk' style knife, so I hope no one minds me posting it here. Forged out of 1084 carbon steel, "brute de forge" style, curly maple scales with brass pins. The person I made it for wanted a really beefy bushcraft type knife so this one is 3/16 thick, feels very solid in the hand. Not normally my style of knife but I think the receiver will be happy. Also the first knife I've been able to put my new touch-mark on. I need to practice a bit, I had sort of a faint strike but I'll learn.

I want to say this is knife number 6 or 7 but I'm losing count. Thanks for looking!

2015-12-21%2021.52.49_zpslkbi5tg1.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.53.36_zpsuts0ew4d.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.56.52_zpsvp4hygbt.jpg

2015-12-21%2021.55.43_zpsrinyvhtd.jpg

Interesting post. I know you built this to someone else's specs and isn't your normal style. To me the blade is far too thick for its overall size and ith the blunted point and an edge that does not have a smooth continuous sweep it looks used. It looks like it would be heavy and slow handling. This may be what he ordered but it is not a knife I would care to use.

Your finishing and shaping of the handle says you have good skills, I just don't think this knife blade shows them off to best advantage.

Thats a perfect skinning knife. In fact, its hard to find one that works well, some of the stuff out there is junk. Thats a blade I would love to use on an Alaskan Moose or Rocky Mt. elk, nice large flat blade, almost like an alaskan Ulu knife.

Nice job!

Beaver T.

Back