• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, i finally decided to get a gun made by member Bobby Christian. I called and talked to him Sunday and worked out the final details. He is going to build me a .20 ga fowler. He had one for sale here in the classifieds, but the LOP was too long and it had too much drop for me. So this way i get one made to my specs. I debated between a 42" barrel, which i like the looks and feel of, and a 36", which is the longest i can get in the gun safe. I finally decided on security and went with the 36". It will have a Large Siler lock, Maple stock with cheek piece, small sideplate with a single lock bolt and i am having him solder me a rear sight on it too. I plan to use it mostly for turkey and deer hunting. Bobby said he should be able to have it to me in time for spring turkey season in April. I will post some pics of it after it arrives. This will be the first, and probably only, gun i have ever had built for Me.

atta boy! :thumbsup: and i know the lil wifey said okay! that's a BIG plus! congrats! :winking: RC

Geez I bet you get your smoothie before I get mine,maybe?Cool.Post some pics when ya get it.

I thought about that but this way if i decide to remove the rear sight there won't be a dovetail cut in the barrel. He is soldering a sight blank on for me that i can find the point i need the notch by shooting and then file it. Once i have it shooting center, there will be not need to drift it.

Dang it I never thought about a rear sight!How do you sight in a sight like you are talkin about.Is it like a peice of metal without a notch.Bear with me Im kinda slow.

Many people dove tali the rear sight and keep a blank dove tail with no sight to plug the hole should one take the sight off it does not show mush and can even be engrave an look kind of like a barrel escutcheon.

Figure i will put a white chalk mark on it for a reference point and then fire a group. If it shoots center great, if not then move the mark the direction the group needs to move and try again until i get it centered then file the notch at that point.

Rebel said:
Figure i will put a white chalk mark on it for a reference point and then fire a group. If it shoots center great, if not then move the mark the direction the group needs to move and try again until i get it centered then file the notch at that point.

dang good idea
:bow:

BRUN said:
Dang it I never thought about a rear sight!How do you sight in a sight like you are talkin about.Is it like a peice of metal without a notch.Bear with me Im kinda slow.

Bruin I dovetailed my rear site into the barrel and the site I used was the feather site from Track of the wolf.Not sure how period correct this is so if that is inporant to you, you may want to ask the pros like mike brooks. I cut the notch a bit big so I would get a better field of view when shotgunning.
when are ya gettin your smoothbore?

I was told last tuesday that it would be shipped in less than a week.....so Im hoping sometime this week?I hope its soon cuase I wont go after a turkey without bein confident in a good load that I havent practiced with.

No doubt,
Hay I hear you are a member of PETA :haha:
Me to except I'm with HETA
Hillbilly's eating tasty animals :haha:
I heal mole stew is to die for

Ya I better watch my step or I wont get any help with that turkey load :grin:

Back