• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawtoothtaxi

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just signed onto this sight and wanted to say Hey. I decided to get into muzzleloading because I can draw some of our game tags alot easier if I apply for the muzzleloader seasons. Though I don't knock inlines, they aren't for me. I was just given my first muzzleloader. A Jonathan Browning Mountain Fifle .50 cal, new in the box. It belonged to a friend of mines husband. He passed away quite awhile ago. She found the muzzleloader tucked away in the attic. Never been fired. I know nothing about it and am having a hard time finding info on it. It looks to have about a 1 in 60 twist, so I'm guessing a patched round ball is going to give me the best accuracy. If any has any info on the rifle and could help me out with a load I sure would appreciate it. I have never fired a black powder before so any info would help. Type of powder to use, type of caps, etc. Thanks in advance

i would suggest a muzzleloading guide by Sam Fadala. He has written a few books and has been a muzzleloader for over 20 years. One thing he emphasizes is having the ball seated on the powder charge. I'm fairly new to this too and his books are very informative. Ebay is a good source for books. The replica rifles have an appeal that doesn't exist with the modern style bp guns.

Sawtooth,

Welcome to your new obsession. I'm envious that you are starting with what sounds like a very nice rifle.

As to loads you are quite right to start with a round ball. I would start with a powder charge of 60 to 70 grains of powder. Shoot a few rounds at close range(15 to 20 yrds) and examine the size of your group. If it seems very tight move target out to 30 to 50 yards and try a few more shots. Don't worry about hitting the middle of the bull yet you are just looking for the best target load. If group size spreads out or seems large to start with adjust your load by 5 grains of powder up or down and see what happens to group size. Keep doing this until you get a group that is consistantly tight. If you increase charge and groups open up reduce your charge.

Patch thickness also figures into accuracy. Every gun is unique. Some like a patch that is .010 inches thick others like patches .018 thick. My rifles do well with either .010 or .015 patches that are pre-lubricated.

Once you get patch and powder figured out and you are getting good groups at 50 yards off a bench than you can adjust your sights to hit the center of the bull. Now your good to go for punching paper. If your most accurate load involves a light(70grains or less) powder charge and you want to hunt with that gun than you will have to increase the powder charge and purhaps sacrifice a little accuracy for bullet energy.

Use either black powder such as Goex brand or a substitute such as Pyrodex RS. Do not under any surcumstance use modern smokeless powder, you may end up in the ER. Black powder is hard to fine in my area so I use the Pyrodex products quite a bit. Most reproduction rifles use #11 caps.

There is much more I could tell you about but you have enough to get started and there are lots of guys on this sight that can help you.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Don

Here's a good place to check out. It's all laid out in sensible fashion by an expert. A bargain. [url] http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ever sacrafice accuaracy!! If you don't hit the animal in the right spot it doesn't matter how fast the bullet was going. If you need to hit um hard work up a conical load. My Lyman Great Plains Rifle w/ 1:60 twist throws them great.
WI Smoke

What ever you start out with make sure that you ball is down on top of the powder. Mark your ramrod and then you will know if the ball is seated the next time you load. Black powder will get in your blood, learn, shoot, and be safe. :hatsoff:

Sawtoothtaxi: WELCOME to the site! :)
In my opinion, your rifle is a very good one. A great place to start on what may become an obsession.

There will be a few frustrating times and a lot of very rewarding times and I know your going to enjoy it.

This web site has hundreds of folks who well be more than happy to answer any questions you may have so don't be bashful.

You might want to follow this link. It is to a post from a guy who was just starting and wondered what he should get.
WHAT DO I NEED??

Again, Welcome to you! :)

Stick with it!

The first six months, I had all sorts of problems!

I've seen post saying percussion revolvers are junk and fire one time in three. Now, they fire every time- just get to know your gun(s)

welcome aboard sawtoothtaxi! glad to hear your going sidelock. lots of good info and advice to sift through. enjoy and be safe. WK1

Welcome to muzzleoading. But be advised, once you catch the muzzleoading bug there's a good chance you'll never go back to centerfire rifles again! By the way, that Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle you acquired happens to be a real nice rifle. In NIB condition thy're currently going for in excess of $1,000. Hang on to it but enjoy yourself shooting it!!

From Gun Digest Black Powder Guide. Sam Fadala

Twist 1:62 It shows the big game loads starting at 90g Goex FF, The max hunting load which he also grades as optimum is 120g Goex FF mv=1974fps.

BTW that is a nice looking rifle.

Thanks guys for all the info. Thanks also to those who e-mailed me with invites to go do some shooting. I appreciate it. I called Browning today and they are sending me an owners manual. The historian that I talked to said he couldn't believe that I had one NIB. He may be a little biased but he said he thought it was one of the best muzzleloaders he has ever had. He still owns 4. FlyBoy...Are you serious? $1,000? Wow. I was guessing maybe $350 or so. Thanks again all

Sweet!

Always be safe and follow the rules of shooting/loading religously!

Don't know for sure about the twist but round ball is probably what it is made to shoot. I agree with the 60-70. I never exceed 75 when at the range. Find the lowest most powerful load needed and you will be happy! And your shoulder will be to!

Charley

Sawtoothtaxi, That rifle of yours is worth every bit of $1,000 as New in Box. Probably a little more. Of course if it was mine it would'nt be in new in the box condition for long.. I would'nt own a rifle I could'nt shoot.

To properly care for it just post questions on this forum. You'll get many and all will be good and within the ballpark. Same goes for proper loads for your rifle. A little piece of advice concerning proper loads: get yourself a copy of the Lyman Black powder guide. You can get it at Barnes and Noble or most stores that are big into black powder firearms.

Got more questions, just post them on this fine forum. You'll get plenty of good advise. Remember this: The only stupid question is the not asked. Welcome to the muzzleooading fraternity. You're going to love it!!!

Back