• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New toy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to my LGS to look at a pistol and cam acrossed a .45 Tradtions fullstock Kentucky rifle for $100+tax bore was super clean someone filed all the markings off the barrel and made it look nice and clean. Trigger sucks like on most there guns, but think I can play with it and clean it up and make it lighter and smoother. Going to go out and play with it tomorrow. Should make a good small game rifle maybe deer too.

Forgot to ask, is there a double trigger set that will fit this gun with little work?

I think the triggers on traditions are just fine. I guess it's just an opinion. I have a traditions kentucky rifle in .50 cal and love it. For me it has a pretty light trigger for a single trigger. I like the single triggers for hunting since it's easier to use with gloves on.

Hey I might be wrong about it being a Tradtions. Thats what they said it was aat the shop, but I was over at greybeard forum and there is a guy selling a 45 Kentucky rifle nad he said his is a Jukar pre-cva and mine new 45 looks identical.

Well after reading alot of back post I came to find out it is a Jukar/CVA 2 piece full stock.

If yours is new looking it may very well be Traditions. Jukar was one of the early manufacturers of CVA. Later Ardessa was the supplier. Ardessa is the Traditions supplier. One of the ways to tell if it is a Traditions (at least a newer Traditions) is to look at the lock internals. If they are nice and smooth and well machined looking, then it is most likely Traditions.If it is kinda rough and pitted probably the earlier CVA version. It really doesn't matter because they are in all aspects the same rifle. Maybe someone else knows, But I wonder If Jukar became Ardessa or was bought out by them or what. Dikar was also seen on some of the early CVA's. You gotta think there is some connection between Jukar and Dikar. I imagine they are conjunctive brand names considering neither one is exactly a common Spanish name.

set triggers require a "fly" in the tumbler to keep the sear from stoping at the half cock position.

In my opinion the newer traditions are made so much better than back in the day. People had way more problems with them back then. Now the only people complaining are the people that have gotten used to their custom guns.

Huntnut said:
Forgot to ask, is there a double trigger set that will fit this gun with little work?

Don't really need one,,there's a screw on the tumbler inside the lock that can be adjusted to make that thing a hair trigger if ya want

Went out and shot it some today. Second load I broke the ramrod and had to run to town I get anotherone. Came home and shot some more at 25 and 50 yrds with 50gr of FFFG it well kill a tree rat inside 50yrds started getting dark so didnt get to shoot any further.

Sense I wasn't there I don't know how you broke the ramrod but the following is one of my general rules.

First, make sure that a spent cap is not on the nipple and the hammer is at half cock.
Then, after starting the patched ball into the bore with either your thumb (for a coned muzzle) or a short starter, place the ramrod on the ball.

Position your hand about 8-10 inches above the muzzle and push the ball down until your hand hits the muzzle. Reposition your hand as before and repeat.
Do this until the ball reaches the powder and push down firmly to make sure the ball is on the powder and not hanging up on a fouling ring that sometimes develops after firing a number of shots.

Remove the ramrod and cap or prime the gun.

She's ready to go! :)

I've seen more than one person who thought they could ram the patched ball by grabbing the ramrod up as high as they could reach and then trying to ram the ball in one giant motion.
That's a sure fire way to break a ramrod and possibly shove the splintered end thru ones hand or arm.

Back