• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie From New Zealand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Alex, I'm from Christchurch, New Zealand (for those that don't know, Australia is an island off our West Coast)

I've been shooting black powder (targets so far) for the last 2 years.

Got into it while I was doing service rifle shoots at an adjoining range to one of the Black powder ranges I shoot at.

I currently have two 45cal Tony Hawkin rifles (NZ made).

I have only had a bit of a read here so far, but looks like a great place to swap info. :)

CIMG0925.jpg

The top rifle in the picture is my first Tony Hawkin, the bottom is another I have done a restoration project on, it was in a sad state when I got it, just got to build a ram rod for it, and take some pics of the finished project.

Welcom aboard Alex, pull up the nearest stump and have a seat. :thumbsup:

As to that island off your west coast, got this feeling you will be rebutted by more than a few Aussies lurking about here on the forume. :wink:

From an Aussie perspective
I say :blah: :yakyak:

Seriuosly, welcome to the board Alex. Nice looking rifles. Pity about the Rugby, from both our perspectives!

A big welcome to the forum from the Old World,Alex.
Perhaps the 'All Blacks' need a new haka?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGUAE--rb0[/youtube]

:hatsoff:

Alex,
Welcome to the MLF,great to have you with
us.Sure would not want to get involved in any
New Zealand/Austrailia discussion, as I would
have to :surrender: to ignorence.
Regardless, hope you will visit often and
contribute when you can.
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

undertaker,
I always did think alcohol was a better
motivator than steroids,and they don't test for
alcohol,it is a given.:hmm::hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Words in Maori are:
Ka mate, Ka mate! Ka ora, Ka ora!
Ka mate, Ka mate! Ka ora, Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuruhuru
Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra!
A hupane, kaupane
A hupane, kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!

:hatsoff:

welcom alex i have shot a couple of the tony hawkin guns a 45 like yours and a 58 one with a 34" barrel that one had a under rib, one of the most accurate 58's i have ever shot of the bench at 320 meters 6" steel disk 10 shots 10 hits the load was 570 round ball 18 pilow ticking over 120grn of c&h ff, the old guy that owend it has since past on dont no what happend to his guns but i sure would lke to get hold of that 58 it had a silver blade front sight and a full buckhorn ajustable rear i think it was a marbles sight.
bernie :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard Alex! Been to Christchurch once a few years ago! New Zealand is a beautmous place! Well met brother, and a big Texas howdy! :hatsoff:

Davy :grin:

Cheers for the welcome people, never ceases to amaze me how like minded people with similar hobbies seem to just get along so well, no matter where in the world they are :grin:

I have started a topic so as not to stretch the intro out, may explain for Cpt Ordnance the difference between Hawken and Hawkin NZ.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212874/[/url]

I better clarify also that the bottom of the two in the pictures (with longer barrel) is actually a restoration project for my mother, who is keen to get into the target shooting with it as well.

I might get in trouble if I try and claim it as mine :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome aboard from the buckeye state! any nice underhammers over there? make smoke and be safe. wk1

underhammers forever!

:thumbsup: G'Day M8, WELCOME TO A GREAT SITE.(thought NZ was the island off OZ?????) anyways, CHEERS from one of the OTHER BIG ISLANDS VANCOUVER ISLAND. i raise a DARWIN-STUBBIE to ya :hatsoff: CHEERS OLD CROW.

Latest posts

Back