• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Needs Help With A hunting Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteA

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I just had a debate with a friend that shoots modern in-lines with regard to a hunting load for a 20 year old, 50 cal CVA Hawken sidelock, CCI Magnum caps, open sights, 1:48 twist, shooting .490RB and .015 Ox-Yoke grease patches ( also tried pillow ticking with Moose Milk)over 70gr of Pyrodex RS. This weekends range time yielded what I thinks was very good results. I'm grouping 8 shots within 2.5 inches at 50 yards. I'm aiming at 6 o'clock and hitting 1.5-2 inches above my point of aim. Now that I have a patch combo down next weekend I will be working on different loads. 70gr is shooting very well so I'm a bit hesitant to make a change.

So for my question. My in-line buddy is saying that I need to be using at least 90gr for an appropriate hunting load for this ML for NY whitetail deer. My self imposed distance limit will be 70-75 yard shots. Hopefully closer - I'm a traditional archer at heart.

I'm looking for advise form the more experience as to your thoughts on hunting load recommendation for my ML. I do want to stick to PRB as my choice of bullet.

You have an accurate and adequate load, especially with your self imposed range limits. I would not hesitate to use your load, and while every shot is unique it would not surprise me if your ball, on a broadside lung shot, goes clean through a typical whitetail. Shot placement is the key, and a bigger and faster ball will not compensate for a poorly placed shot.

You can work up to a 90 gr load if you want, but it isn't necessary for a quick, clean and humane kill. Good hunting with your rifle.

My wife refuses to use more than 60 grains in her 54, and to shoot deer further than 50 yards. She sure killsum dead though.

Dunno New York deer from New York liverwurst, but unless there's some legal requirement I'd say you're right on the money. Your accuracy and range limits will get the job done. It's all about shot placement.

If you plug some numbers into a RB ballistics program for a .490 RB you'll find a 500fps difference (1500-2000fps)in MV results in about 100fps difference at 100yds. In other words you don't gain much and you pay for it with increased recoil and muzzle blast. Load for accuracy not velocity.

I used the same (70gr)BP/RB combination in my 20+ year old CVA Hawken to take a couple of Mule Deer, but with a storebought lubed patch (don't remember what kind). Worked just fine for me. Them New Yorkers might be tougher though. :haha:

The rifle was nowhere near 20 years old at the time, don't know if that'd make a difference. :grin:

I agree with the others that your load will be quite adequate, especially given your self-imposed range limitations.

I will say that your inline buddy is at least thinking for himself as I would have expected most inliner's to say 150 grains...or at least 100 since everything for them seems to be in 50 gr increments of pellets now-a-days! There is certainly nothing wrong with 90 grs of 2F...it's actually my preferred load...but just because that's what happens to shoot best in my .54's. But I would not hesitate to shoot 70gr for hunting if that gave me the best group.

If you have any concerns, or want to show your inline buddy what 70 grs in a 50 cal can do, set up a 2x4 or a piece of thick plywood and see what she'll do at 75 yards! :wink:

I would go ahead and try more. Not that 70gr won't do the job. Like others said 70gr will be fine, in fact you could probably go a little less. It's always good to know what your gun is capable of so run it up more in 5 gr increments just to satisfy your not knowing and then you can hunt with your 70 after you are done testing.

Roundballs kill by calibre, not energy. The actual difference in velocity at killing range between 70, 80 and 90 grain loads is minimal because the roundball sheds it's velocity so quickly.

There's no harm in upping the powder charge but don't expect the deer to notice. Either way you'll be putting a half inch hole through him.

Congratulations on your choice to hunt traditionally and not succumb to the pressure to cheat with the other abominations! Respect...

Please don't go telling all the deer and hogs that have made their way through my freezer that a .490" PRB pushed with 70grs of FFFg won't kill em. Cause that's how most of em got there til I went and bought a .54.

Taken three deer now with that exact same load out of a t/c hawken with 2f. Two at 40 yards or less through and through no problem. One at 80 yards still through and through. Don't let him talk you into changing your load. More than sufficient to kill a whitetail. Put one in the boiler room and you won't have to track um to far.

I plugged some numbers into a RB ballistics calculator and came up with the following.

70gr pyrodex rs with .490 ball and .015 patch
1580 fps muzzle velocity
50 yards - 1106 fps muzzle velocity
75 yards - 1000 fps muzzle velocity

75gr pyrodex
1647 fps - muzzle velocity
50 yards - 1135 fps
75 yards - 1019 fps

It's my understanding that I want to be at 1000 fps to have the energy and good shot placement for a clean, humain kill. At 100 yards the fps seems to drop off to the lower 900s. Maybe I'm over thinking this. But again I'm a newbie to muzzleloading and firearms.

So, more range time this weekend. I'm going to work on loads up to 80gr and see what I starts to happen to my groups.

Forget energy, it's irrelevant. A roundball is big to start with. It is made of soft lead so expands to about double its size then passes through the animals vitals.

The big hole it leaves is very lethal. It is, in my opinion, more like a broadhead than a modern projectile.

Accuracy, patience and ethics are the key. Get your head out of the modern world and go back in time, that is after all the whole point.

Have fun.

Stick with your load,,it is accurate..focus on Bullet placement,,it matters little if you miss with a magnum load..Shot placement will win out every time.I shoot 70 grains in my 50 cal and 60 in my 45 cal,,you shootem good, the are DRT.
If it ain't broke don't fix it....Anyone shooting an I/L is very suspect,,,,

Nothing wrong with playing more at the range. Worst that can come of it is you and your rifle getting better aquainted. If you can find a more accurate load with a little more powder and get better velocity, mores the better. Then you have options :wink:

I hunt NY whitetails and my load is 70 grains in my 50. Everyone else around here shoots the unmentionables with 150 grains. One of them actually has a 12X scope on his!!! I get my deer every year. Can't say the same for my friends.

:thumbsup:

Dave

Back