• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthamilton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well its decision time. I am looking at getting a cap and ball revolver or 2, but have no idea what I would like or should watch for! Anybody out there have insight on them? I would like a 36 cal.

I have found a dealer for a 50 cal Pedersoli Kentucky Silver Star Flintlock Pistol, any sugestions on this model?

ROB

Revolvers and single shot muzzle stuffers are two very different things. I have both but prefer shooting my single shot. It is certainly a personal preference, same when it comes to choosing the style of revolver. I have a New Army model Remington (Pietta) because I just always liked the looks of it over the open top Colt styles. I have never shot a Colt model so can't make any comparison on shooting characteristics. You probably need to get at least one of each.

Ghettogun said:
Revolvers and single shot muzzle stuffers are two very different things. I have both but prefer shooting my single shot. It is certainly a personal preference, same when it comes to choosing the style of revolver. I have a New Army model Remington (Pietta) because I just always liked the looks of it over the open top Colt styles. I have never shot a Colt model so can't make any comparison on shooting characteristics. You probably need to get at least one of each.

I was thinking I may have to get two revolvers :grin: . As for style and type I am lost. I like the looks of the Pietta 1858 Rem. .36 Antique Finish w. Walnut Grips

ROB

Cooterdog

I have two of the Pietta 1858 Rem in .44 They are great guns, you will like them. They [ mine anyways ] shoot well, easy to load, easy to clean, easy to disassemble, a really good revolver.

I like my two Colt .36 calibers better.

I have the most just plain fun with my single shot pistols.

I hope that help with your idea of what you will get.

“You probably need to get at least one of each.”

Tinker2

Hey Tinker2

What kind of finish would you go with? I can get a colt here in 44 but still want the 36 model.

ROB

cooterdog said:
What kind of finish would you go with? I can get a colt here in 44 but still want the 36 model.

Cooterdog

Don’t get the brass frame one if you can. They just don’t hold up as well. Yes I have a brass framed gun too. Shot the cylinder pin lose in five years. I have had the gun rebuilt and salt blued the steel three times now. I still use it, but I only/mostly buy steel now.

I like the blue finish on my revolvers. I also prefer the .36 caliber and in a colt navy. I also have a shoulder stock for them.
Brass36Stock.jpg

Tinker2

cooterdog said:
Well its decision time. I am looking at getting a cap and ball revolver or 2, but have no idea what I would like or should watch for! Anybody out there have insight on them? I would like a 36 cal.

I have found a dealer for a 50 cal Pedersoli Kentucky Silver Star Flintlock Pistol, any sugestions on this model?

ROB

I believe the Pedersoli Kentucky is a single shot muzzleloading pistol made for shooting patched roundballs.

I agree with Tinker2. Although a brass framed revolver is historically accurate (The Confederacy made them) the brass framed guns should be shot with light powder loads. Although the steel framed guns cost a bit more their rugged construction is worth the extra expense.

As for a .36 vs a .44 that is a personal thing with most people leaning towards a .44. It gives a little more bang for the buck.

The closed frame Remington, Whitney and Rogers & Spencer revolvers are considered more rugged than the open top Colts and their crude rear sights (usually a simple groove down the topstrap) are preferred by many over the Colts notch in the nose of the hammer.

Most folks agree that the Colt open top pistols have by far the best "feel" and "pointability" of all of the Cap and Ball revolvers which makes them very popular.

By the way, when we talk about "brass framed" guns we are talking about the actual frame of the gun, not the trigger guard and grip backstrap which are often made from brass on the steel framed guns.

Whether you decide on a single shot pistol or a revolver you will find a huge amount of information here on the forum. Happy reading and enjoy your new pistol. :)

FWIW, I like the 1860 Colt. The Remingtons are very nice, usually great shooters and I've owned several examples of each, but still prefer the Colts.

I had a Genuine Colt (re-issue) 1849 five-shot .31 cal that I liked a lot, but it was a tiny thing!

As far as extremely accurate and stout beyond all reason, look to the Ruger offerings.

If you don't care about being correct and just want to enjoy shooting a revolver, look for a Ruger. Those are great guns. If you are leaning more toward the .36 cal Navy, go for the 1851 Colt. It is a classic design and points very well. The 1861 Colt Navy also points very well. It is also another beautiful classic design. The 1860 Army and 1861 Navy Colts remind me of the leg of a beautiful woman, shapely and classic.
I would stay with the steel framed guns. I am no fan of the antique look. I prefer to let my stuff get antiqued on it's own.
For pistols, you might find an old Thompson Patriot in .36 cal. They are more common in .45 cal. They may not be absolutely correct, but they are fun and accurate shooters.
You may not know what you could be letting yourself in for. You may need a pistol or revolver for each day of the week, and two for sundays. Then you have to consider how many pockets you have and how many you can stick into your belt, evenly spaced at about six inches apart all around your waist. And then you have the shoulder rigs, something to fit into your lunch box, coffee cup or under your hat. It could go on and on. Have fun with whatever you choose. :thumbsup:

I have seen so many BP revolvers online it makes my head spin. :hmm: I know the local shop has a Ruger Colt or Navy in 44. I have shot a few navy's at the range and know that I want a couple 36's, just not sure what to look for. I can make my own balls and have fffg powder. Now all I need to do is find what I want and add the revolvers to my list with my Flintlock and Caplock 50 cal rifles for range trips :grin:

Zonie you are correct that a Pedersoli Kentucky is a single shot muzzleloading pistol made for shooting patched round balls. Its actually a 50 cal flintlock model I was looking at. Nobody seems to know anything about the Pedersoli Kentucky Silver Star Flintlock Pistol.

Rob

You can find it at the possibles shop and also http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/products/pistols/pedersoli pistols/index.htm
This site offers it in a 45 and 50 cal.

I personally have several C&P ( all .44) and working on my collection of single shots IMHO I like the flinters through and through. Although I just seem to have a BP addiction in general... or hobby as i like to call it. Try them both you will find a unique experience when you shoot either one. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's Colt Navys and Colt Armys, but no Ruger Colts. You must have seen a Ruger Old Army which available as a .45 caliber according to their brochures. It no longer is in production though.

Russ T Frizzen said:
There's Colt Navys and Colt Armys, but no Ruger Colts. You must have seen a Ruger Old Army which available as a .45 caliber according to their brochures. It no longer is in production though.

It could have been a Ruger Colt or maybe an Army. The shop has it listed as "Ruger 44 comes with box of balls and caps". I may just get it as its all steel and will be able to shoot it in hours after the papers are drawn up. I'll get all the stats on it asap and label them here first to get opinions.

Rob

a spent 7.62X39 case (AK or SK) makes a good powder measure for a 'warm' load for the ROA .44.
a .357mag case makes a good 'target' load measure.
a felt 'button' over powder has proved good for tighter groups in my .44's.

Latest posts

Back