• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbies: you found the right place

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Eight weeks ago I had never fired a muzzleloader. Today I was at the range solo, shooting a used T/C Hawkins .50 that I bought recently. I had a big ol' time. No hangfires or misfires, hit the paper consistently, and still have all my fingers and both eyebrows. I even got the thing cleaned up properly (well, we'll see after a week or two).

The great advice and insights I got from the folks in this forum went a long way to making it happen. My experience was that guys were patient of questions they've heard a hundred times before, and genuinely interested in offering effective advice. If you're seriously interested in getting into muzzleloading, this is an excellent place for information and opinions.

One thing, though: does this site have an FAQ? Like any new hobby or sport, a glossary of terms and abbreviations would be useful to newcomers. If such a thing does exist on the site, I overlooked it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributes. I've got to think there's a lot of guys who never post a message but learn an awful lot from what you guys discuss here.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you will continue enjoy your TC Hawken. I don't think I'd wait a week or two to check and see if you got it clean, though. Check again tomorrow by running a dry patch down it.

BTW - ML's are kinda like tater chips, it's really hard to stop at just one.

Watch yer topknot . . . Otter

Terms

Here the link for a Glossary

Welcome to the Forum. If you have a question jsut ask ... people here are great about answering it or pointing you to the correct place for the answer. I know I asked a lot of questions and I am sure the folks here on the forum had seem them before. I have a T/C Hawkins and love it.

Yes the site does have a FAQ but it gives information on how to navagate the site and things like that.

We have discussed having a FAQ for shooting muzzleloaders but as you have found, the answers depend on what the person wants to do and what kind of gun they are shooting.
At the moment, at least in my areas, I would rather have the person ask specific questions and get good answers to those questions rather than have a list of general do's and dont's that may or may not apply.

If you visit the Flintlock Forum you will see two posts that have been nailed at the top of the page.

These posts do a pretty good job of answering some general questions about shooting flintlocks so the moderator of that section decided to keep them at the top for folks new to shooting flintlocks.
Someday, lazy ole Zonie might do the same for the Caplock guns. :shocked2:

daven, abandon all hope. you are now hooked. once inflicted with BP syndrome theres no cure except to buy more rifles. :hatsoff:

No Daven, you still have time to save yourself..box it up and send it to me for proper....ah.....handling. Then I'll have 2 and I really need three. :rotf:

Welcome, you are a few steps ahead of me since I have had my T/C Hawken almost a week now and haven't shot. And "its raining down in Texas" again today, plus my rear sight hasn't arrived yet.

:hatsoff:
Daven, you said it very well. I've really enjoy this forum! Found lots of good information by browsing the past posts, and a lot of good advice for my own newbie questions. Everyone is very friendly.

Thanks all of you. :grin:

Daven, you're going to love this forum. Lot's of great folks and lot's of great advise. Ask a question and you're sure to get plenty of good responses. The folks on this site are most helpul. Also remember that the only stupid question is the one not asked!

PS: Be advised, once you catch the Black Powder bug, you'll never go back!!!! :)

walruskid1 said:
daven, abandon all hope. you are now hooked. once inflicted with BP syndrome theres no cure except to buy more rifles. :hatsoff:
Don't believe ol' Wally, I've got three, and the symptoms are still increasin'. :rotf:

in advanced cases of BP-itis, the subject has the urge to buy a bigger gunsafe, or multiple safes. i know, but i can stop at anytime. really i can stop. :grin:

I'm beginning to see what you guys mean. I keep trying to figure how I can squeeze a few hours of range-time into next weekend.

BTW, I checked the barrel as Otter suggested. I'm using bore butter to avoid corrosion, and the patch came out dingier than the bright yellow. Does bore butter discolor as it's exposed to air, or does that change from bright yellow to yellowish-tan mean there's trouble afoot (who said there are no dumb questions).

Daven, you'll get a few more replies to this than from just me. From what you're telling me I'd run a few dry patches down the barrel. Next, run a few wet patches of the solvent of your choice. I like Track's Best. TC's number 13 bore solvent works well also. I've also heard good stuff concerning Hoppes BP solvent.

Next run a few dry patches down the barrel and look for any discoloration. continue this process until the patch is clean. Then run some dry patches down the barrel and ensure it's completely dry and then run a patch or two of TC's bore butter down the barrel.

I'm currently experimenting on automatic transmission fluid in one of my rifles barrels on the advise of the man who built it for me. So far it's working well.

My advise is just a small amount of what you're going to get on this forum. I'm not saying that my advise is the best. I'm only telling you what personally works for me. :)

walruskid1 said:

Ain't that kinda like curin' a bonfire by addin' more wood? :hmm:

daven, abandon all hope. you are now hooked. once inflicted with BP syndrome theres no cure except to buy more rifles.

Let us not forget the Pistols :haha:

Flyboy,

This may sound dumb, but is tranny fluid petroleum-based? I'm trying to follow T/C's recommendations to use non-oil based products in the barrel.

walruskid1 said:
in advanced cases of BP-itis, the subject has the urge to buy a bigger gunsafe, or multiple safes. i know, but i can stop at anytime. really i can stop. :grin:

Yeah, me too. That must be why I'm sellin' off my suppository rifles and makin' more room in my safe. :bull:

Yes it is. And yes I like the non petroleum process better. That's why I'm only experimenting with it on one rifle.

So far Iv'e found TC's bore butter to be doing just as well. I'll give it some more time and if I don't see any major differences I'll use the bore butter on that rifle too. Just checking things out. :winking:

Hey dmills how goes it? Are you coming to the shoot in Brady this coming weekend?? Would be good to see you and any other shooters that would like to come and shoot also. Take care

rabbit03

Back