• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newspaper wadding?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchmanDick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anybody had decent luck using newspaper wadding in a muzzle-loading smoothbore (specifically, 20-gauge)? While I realize commercial wads would probably give more consistent results, newspaper is more readily available for me and I can get discards for nothing. This means I can use shot (which I already have in quantity) in my Northwest Trade Gun that much more often...

As a side note, I cast some .600 round balls last night in my new Lee mould. I never realized just how BIG they were... :shocked2: :grin:

Rich Knack said:
As a side note, I cast some .600 round balls last night in my new Lee mould. I never realized just how BIG they were... :shocked2: :grin:
And how fast you go through a pot of lead? :haha:
Newspaper wadding will work OK, you have to pack it very tightly and be aware that it can be a fire hazard. So long as I can get commercial wads for $8.00 per thousand I don't see much point in makeshift wadding but to each his own. I'd suggest you get wads from Track of the Wolf or direct from Circle Fly. http://www.circlefly.com/html/welcome.html

Last edited by a moderator:
While I have not tried newspaper wads myself, I have heard they are inconsistent and a fire hazard.

I've had pretty decent results with no wads, just cards. A 5/8" hole punch and a couple old cereal boxes makes a pile of cards in a hurry for next to nothing.

One load that worked very well in my .62 Renegade was 60g 2F / 4 cereal box cards / 20g measure of corn meal / 70g measure of shot in a post-it shotcup / one more cereal box card shoved down with a greased patch over a jag.
Just don't shoot into the wind with the cornmeal buffer. It'll blow back at ya and get in yer eyes.

The primary purpose of any wad or card used in a MLer is to SEAL the gases behind the load of shot, or the PRB. Using newspaper may be handy, but getting a tight seal is unlikely. Use a Chronograph to answer that question, if you must travel down a road others have already traveled before.

You can save money by punching out your own cards or wads from stock purchased in large sheets for a lot less money than what is even charged for wads today. However, you are substituting your own labor, and equipment, for those used in factories to produce wads or cards by the tens of thousands. Its pretty hard to find a way to make your own wads Cheaper than what they cost to buy. I have better things to do with my time. But, punches are available in all the popular gauges if that is where you want to go.

The most important part of any wad or card is its edge, which is that part of the wad that provides the gas seal. Commercially made cards have great edges, are thin enough that they can be bent slightly to fit them down through any choke at the muzzle of a gun, then turned to drive down the barrel. Any time you turn a wad or card in the bore, you are turning 2 opposite edges at the pivot points. So, to over come this potential source of weakness, you use 2( or more) cards instead of one, putting them in the muzzle along different axes( for example, put the first card in the barrel in a 12/6 o'clock alignment, using your front site. Then for the second card, put the card in the muzzle on a 9/3 o'clock alignment. Any weakness at 12 or 6 o'clock on the first card is "covered" by the second card, and the first card covers any weakness in the second card at 9 or 3 o'clock.

Uneven bores will upset seals and release gases, so it best to polish the bore well, to make it smooth, and even. You also want to take steps to prevent lead from rubbing off against the walls of the bore with each shot fired, as lead streaks will break the seals on the edges of succeeding shots, causing gas blow-by, and damage to the shot pattern, or to your PRB.

And, if you choose to use modern plastic shot cups, you need to take care to prevent plastic from rubbing off on the bore, just as it does with modern shotguns. I have found that lubing the plastic shotcup before inserting into the muzzle helps prevent the plastic streaking, as well as lubing the bore of your gun AFTER the load and overshot cards are seating in the barrel. Greasing the barrel also helps the shot slide over the walls, rather than rubbing lead off on them. Using a fine grained filler poured into and settled in the load of shot will also protect the shot from being deformed.

There is a downside to using Newspaper for wadding:

News print, like most all paper sold for use in receiving ink, is coated with a microscopic layer of granite dust, and that dust is hard on the bore. Used with lead solvent, it might be one way to clean lead streaks out of a barrel, but at the chance that you leave the fine granite dust in the barrel to wear on it with successive shots. That can be very hard on choked barrels in particular. If you use it in a smoothbore, I would highly recommend using a well oiled cleaning patch to pick up and remove this " dust",even before pouring water and soap down the barrel for cleaning out the powder residue.

I have used news print. Once the pidgeon start coming into the decoys close enough I switch to news print.
Bear in mind, this is over stubble or new seed and from a hide and no bag limits over here.
If many birds are coming in the paper will cope with fouling better. In a lull I get a chance to swab the bore.
Some days I have ended up as black as a crows ass but the paper kept ramming home and actually seemed to scape the bore clean some.

Brit :thumbsup:

Most newspapers are wrtten by leftists, so you'll have to compensate by aiming a little more to the right. :bull: :rotf:

I've wondered myself if the hornets nest paper found in many an old huntsman possibles bag was used in smoothys as wadding for both shot and patch for round ball too. that stuff is fairly tough paper.

Its difficult to get a groove diameter fit using hornet's nest, if you just pinch off some. The best way to get it to fit tightly is to crumble it as you would tobacco before loading your pipe. Then, pour the crumbled hornet's nest down the barrel. It compresses very well, and with the wide flat loading head on your ramrod, you should be able to push it into corners to create a good edge seal.

No, I do not think it seals as well as do the pre-cut cards, no matter how much you use, nor in what form its used.

For use in the field, where a lot of things are " make-do", I think it will do as well as newsprint, and probably better. If you do have to load the barrel laying down, or sitting in a short blind, I would go ahead and stuff as much of the Hornet's nest into the barrel as can, and just shove it down on the powder. For incoming dove, you want a fairly open pattern, and you can pick your shots to keep the ranges short- Under 20 yards! It just takes discipline, founded on a firm belief that there will be more dove along in a minute or two.

The real advantage of hornet's nest in the field is that its almost pure cellulose, and does not Burn well, making it safer to use than newsprint.

That should be no small concern for any hunter.

I use to use it in an old .28 gauge ML shotgun when I was young. Good fire show at dusk.

Rich Knack said:
Has anybody had decent luck using newspaper wadding in a muzzle-loading smoothbore (specifically, 20-gauge)? While I realize commercial wads would probably give more consistent results, newspaper is more readily available for me and I can get discards for nothing. This means I can use shot (which I already have in quantity) in my Northwest Trade Gun that much more often...

I used it for a while but had problems with smoldering newspaper coming out the barrel. I still use it for rolling shot charges but I use a felt wad over powder then use the newspaper shot charge. With the felt wad over the powder I have had no fire problems since the middle sixties.

Blizzard of 93 said:
I've wondered myself if the hornets nest paper found in many an old huntsman possibles bag was used in smoothys as wadding for both shot and patch for round ball too. that stuff is fairly tough paper.

Yep works good and doesnt catch fire (I still say it's stinky :blah: )

I have made my own wads from newspaper before, it's easy enough to do.

First I took two old boards about an 1/2 in thick, then I used a bore size drill bit and drilled plenty of holes in one of the boards. Next I placed the board with holes drilled in it on a flat surface.

I then ripped the newspaper into strips and soaked them in water (squeezing out the excess) and packed each hole with the wet paper as tightly as possible. Once that was done I simply placed the second board on top of the first one and weighted it down to compress the bulging paper into the holes and let it alone to dry.

Once dry (a few days later), I removed the top board and popped out the paper wads.

Wow. That's clever! I wouldn't have come up with that in a million years. Can you lube these wads to help keep fouling soft?

Musketman said:
I have made my own wads from newspaper before, it's easy enough to do.

First I took two old boards about an 1/2 in thick, then I used a bore size drill bit and drilled plenty of holes in one of the boards. Next I placed the board with holes drilled in it on a flat surface.

I then ripped the newspaper into strips and soaked them in water (squeezing out the excess) and packed each hole with the wet paper as tightly as possible. Once that was done I simply placed the second board on top of the first one and weighted it down to compress the bulging paper into the holes and let it alone to dry.

Once dry (a few days later), I removed the top board and popped out the paper wads.

If you're going to make "paper mache" wads, which seems like a pretty good idea, there are lots of recipes online for "fire-proofing" paper. I think you'd just use the "fire-proofing" solution to make the mache-wads (or the shot-wraps) in the first place and there shouldn't be much of a fire problem with them. Fire danger here in the Nebraska Panhandle is huge for most of the summer and anything to reduce it is a good thing.

Mossyrock said:
Wow. That's clever! I wouldn't have come up with that in a million years. Can you lube these wads to help keep fouling soft?

You can experiment some, instead of water to soak the paper strips how about using diluted patch lube. (something that will semi-dry) You can also speed up the drying process by placing the boards in a sunny area.

Latest posts

Back