• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

next year all black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a very successful rifle season (170 class 6 by 5 or 11 pointer) however upon first muzzleloader buck tag in 7 years I skunked out. Only had one shot and it was a moving 100 yard shot in a group of does I did not want to take.

Talking to my friend who only hunts traditional we are planning to just forget about the hard to get South Dakota muzzleloader buck tags and use our rifle tags with muzzleloaders instead.

Furthermore as luck would have it my daughters teacher invited me out to their ranch a week back. Got to talking with her and her husband over supper about black powder. He does not hunt but he is really intrigued about the old style guns.

Out of no where he offered to let me hunt his place because we are using primitive gear. He has a 1000 acres (open, creek valley and a large butte) that he never lets anyone hunt. It has a good mix of Mule and Whitetail deer.

So I have my plans next year for my Hawken. Now I just need to finish it and start practicing this summer :)

kruzer1 said:
Out of no where he offered to let me hunt his place because we are using primitive gear. He has a 1000 acres (open, creek valley and a large butte) that he never lets anyone hunt. It has a good mix of Mule and Whitetail deer.
Fantastic...and I don't need to tell you that you should think long and hard about a couple of surprises for him throughout the year...a case of steaks...or a gift certificate to a good steak house somewhere.
Then a big Christmas Honey Baked Ham or something...you get the idea.

Good luck...

One of the pieces of land I have permission to gain access is owned by gentleman that took me under his wing 35 years ago. He doesn't get out much now except to ride in his truck and glass for deer, he wouldn't think of shooting one that way. Because of his friendship and mentoring, he also never runs out of fresh perch fillets and venison.

you lucked out!

i need to find someone who owns a bunch of property near me. hopefully someone i can bribe with steaks...

cynthia was a fine host last year but she is a mighty long drive away. i think i spent almost $200 in just gas for last years hunt. my 2012 deer hunt mustve cost me around $600+ total (was worth it), im hopen my 2013 hunt is a little bit cheaper.

-matt

Back