• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice 10 pointer today around noon !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Went out to a place I hunt to finish building a natural ground blind I started yesterday...it was 12:30 noon, I have to go through a simple cable gate and drive 100 yards alongside an old farmhouse with a back yard and very small patch of woods behind it, then a panoramic view of three big fields open up once I drive past the old farmhouse...three 25-30 acre fields...left, straight ahead, and right of the tractor lane.

I've gone the 100 yards and as I pull past the old farmhouse lot, with all that open space in front of me, out of the patch of woods behind the farmhouse not 20 feet from my driver door lunges this gorgeous 10 pointer.

My blazer was barely rolling so I stopped it easily and just watched him for 10 seconds as he initially bolted, then slowed into a nice rocking chair gait going away through those fields, down hill to the big heavily wooded bottom where my blind is...definitely saw 4 tines per side and I assume he had brow tines which I couldn't see of course...a magnificent buck and a real thrill to behold this at 12:30 in the middle of the day.

Finishing getting my natural blind done today took on a whole new meaning :grin:

Roundball,I hope your luck is better than mine! I spooked a good buck a few years back about a week before season opened & never saw him again. :( I hope you get a chance a this one I would like to see a pic of him. Good Luck & Good Shootin'

I'd say you still have a chance at him as he was'nt alerted while you were on stand. I'm sure you'll agree it's always good to know that you have one like that in the area-seems to keep a feller in the stand a little longer. :haha: Good luck. :thumbsup:

Deer living in the wood lots on a farm are used to trucks and tractors and machinery driving along and in those fields constantly year-round...it doesn't actually "scare" them.

I think in this case my truck got so close to him bedded in that small little patch of woods behind that farmhouse that he flushed out...but it seemed like after his intital burst of speed he settled down and wasn't running scared, just putting distance between us...yes, it sure would be nice if I got a chance at him next month

Roundball remember that spot cause he just might hold up there when the season and shooting comes in because of the safty and comfort he finds there.

Good luck gettin' yer sights on him. :thumbsup: I'll check back for the pics later. :wink:

You might consider setting up right there in that small woodlot well before light some morning. Could be you'd catch him coming to his bed at sunrise. :hmm: It's amazing how often a big buck gets shot "right behind the house" or in a patch of cover that is "too small to hold a deer".

jethro224 said:
Good luck gettin' yer sights on him. :thumbsup: I'll check back for the pics later. :wink:

You might consider setting up right there in that small woodlot well before light some morning. Could be you'd catch him coming to his bed at sunrise. :hmm: It's amazing how often a big buck gets shot "right behind the house" or in a patch of cover that is "too small to hold a deer".
I know exactly what you mean...years ago going squirrel hunting I had the daylights scared out of me...was walking from my truck across an open field past an old 1/4 acre farm cemetary plot with one big old tree and a lot of brush on it...must have completely surprised him because he went crashing through the brush and briars out the backside and across a couple hundred yards of field into the woods...

Back