• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple placement on direct nipple to barrel guns(mule ears and such)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m planning out a few builds for the next few months and was wondering about placement of nipples on guns where the nipple threads directly into the barrel instead of a drum like on Mule ears and the converted 1836 pistols. Can someone tell me which layout is more appropriate or if there’s a better way I didn’t think of? I’ve included a rough diagram of the two ways I could think of doing it. One in front of the breech and one through the plug itself. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I am thinking the nipple in front of BP is the correct way. Both of my UnderHammers are that way.
That’s what I figured too. I don’t have a UH anymore or I’d double check myself. But I know people swear by having vent holes going through the breech plug into the center of the bore on flintlocks so I wasn’t sure.

Have done Mule Ears and Underhammers with the nipples slightly in front of the breech plug. My question on the second model through the breech plug you would need to drill a straight section for the nipple then how are you going to drill the rest of the way through the breech plug at an angle? You could drill a chamber into the breech plug and then drill the nipple straight into that chamber.

I put the nipple just ahead of the breech plug. The nipple must have threads the length of the barrel thickness to work properly. You can get those different length nipples from track of the wolf.

My bias is from experience with flint->percussion conversions of ACW muskets.
All that I've seen or read about were done with the methodology shown in the top diagram.

Latest posts

Back