• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NIPPLE WRENCH help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1911

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What size Nipple Wrench do I need for my 1851 Navy .36 and my 1858 Remington .44? I looked at DGW and they have various styles to pick from.

Thanks very much.

A Dixie # NT0501 wrench (Large Revolvers) should work very well with your guns.

The NT0504 wrench (Small pocket revolvers) would also work for most of the larger revolvers but because the working end of it is smaller it is more likely to break if the nipples in the cylinder are stuck.

As most folks know, the standard #10 and #11 nipples are pretty much standardized for the distance across the flats but there are larger wrenches made for rifles which have much larger bodies.
These are great for removing nipples from rifles and single shot pistols but their larger bodies will not fit down into the counterbored recess that most revolvers have.

Zonie said:
A Dixie # NT0501 wrench (Large Revolvers) should work very well with your guns.

The NT0504 wrench (Small pocket revolvers) would also work for most of the larger revolvers but because the working end of it is smaller it is more likely to break if the nipples in the cylinder are stuck.

As most folks know, the standard #10 and #11 nipples are pretty much standardized for the distance across the flats but there are larger wrenches made for rifles which have much larger bodies.
These are great for removing nipples from rifles and single shot pistols but their larger bodies will not fit down into the counterbored recess that most revolvers have.

Thanks very much. :wink:

Just make sure that you don't think that "large revolvers" means that you can use the same size wrench as a Walker or a big Dragoon. I have four or five different sized nipple wrenches. The '58 "large frame" revolver uses one of the smallest wrenches I own, as does the '60 Colt Army.

Pedersoli makes the best Walker nipple wrench, which also works on my third model Dragoon.

It's always best to take the cylinder to the store and size it up for any loose play--this looseness is what causes the metal to bend and snap due to fatigue after hard use. If you have to mail-order, make sure that you can return it if it doesn't fit correctly, or just buy another revolver that fits that wrench :shocked2: :haha:

Dave

Back