• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Knight Red Hot's for several years.
Why? I wanted a better nipple to replace the factory issue cheapies, they where available at a local shop and the proved to be very reliable.

I'm a paper puncher and I notice nipples only last 200-300 shot's before gas cutting begins to open the groups..
My source just dried up,,Sportsmens Whrs. closed,, so I'll be on a quest by next spring for a different replacment

I buy most all my nipples from Mountain State Muzzleloading in WV. They make their own in a variety of styles. I've always had good luck with them. They make a standard version in both steel & stainless, plus a 'hotter' version called a Spitfire.

For my Zouve I don't have any spares it uses musket caps so far so good but need to get a couple of spares.
I shot my new Traditions Hawken yesterday and after maybe 5 shot's the nipple broke, I have a couple of spares they are Tradition also but appear to be stainless steel.

373693024.jpg

I shoot the OEM nipples until they start to open up, which is usually within the first 100-200 rounds; some, like the Lyman rifles, are even sooner.

I use Treso Ampco nipples after that. I've never had a Treso nipple wear out yet, some are well over 500 rounds. They have a small flash channel to concentrate the gas and are extremely hard and resistant to gas cutting.

All the caplocks I owned were T/Cs and a Navy Arms sxs .12ga...HotShot nipples were what I settled on for all of them.

I also use the Ampco nipples but I have found that for my rifle I have to open up the flash channel to .032 to get consistant ignition. The stock hole is just to fine for my patent breech .They are available from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun works.

On my TC Hawken 50 & 54 calibers I use the hot shot nipple, because it works real well with tripple seven powder. On my other rifles either TC stock nipples or Ampco work well.

Back