• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nit Wit turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
posting this for my buddy Nit Wit . The hunt was the quickest hunt ever. I drove to a piece of my property here in Maine the second day of our 2017 spring season .The coffee had got things percolating and I had to head for the outhouse .I had parked beside my land and jumped out and headed across my grassy piece.I got about 20 steps and a turkey gobbled behind the outhouse.I spun around and grabbed a hen decoy and a jake decoy called a funky chicken,it is the goofiest thing you ever saw .I stuck them in the ground and then went to the truck to get my fowler .M

This hunt was the quickest hunt ever. I drove to a piece of my property here in Maine the second day of our 2017 Spring season. The coffee had got things percolating and I had to head for the outhouse. I had parked beside my land and jumped out and headed across my grassy piece. I got about 20 steps and a turkey gobbled behind the out house. I spun around and grabbed a hen decoy and a jake decoy called a funky chicken, it's the goofiest thing you ever saw. I stuck them in the ground and then went to the truck to get my fowler. My fowler is a Leonard Day 1620-1640 Spanish butt(fish tail). 20 ga with an English dog lock. I primed my pan with 3F KIK and put it down, picked up my Cody glass call a gave a yelp. He responded, I did a couple of low purrs. All was quiet. I was completely shielded by a large pile of dirt, perfect set up. Then there he was headed to thrash Funky Chicken! I cocked and slowly raised it to my shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The sparks hit the pan and the thunder roared as the fowler belched smoke! He was dead at about 20 feet. Two jakes came over and stomped him numerous times( I think I heard them say"you ain't so tough now)! It was a small bird 16 1/4 llbs 4 1/2" beard, but I did it with a cool gun.

I had talked to Leonard Day at the Fort Frederick 18th century market fair in Big Pool Maryland last week and told him I was going to try and kill a bird with his fowler, he wished me luck. Anybody can kill a bird with a modern shotgun. We flintlock carrying hunters are special!

Almost forgot, my load: 80 grains 3F KIK fiber wad, 80 grains of # 5 shot and more fiber wad to hold it in.

Nit Wit

Outstanding Nit wit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those funky chickens are the Rodney Dangerfields of decoys......They get no respect, I'm tellin ya, NO RESPECT!

Great hunt, congratulations and thanks for sharing. :hatsoff:

Best regards, Skychief

Congratulations Nit-Wit, well done. I really liked the story and your outhouse bird. Great photo of you and your bird. Next time, take your fishing pole for the pond behind you, LOL. Keep yer powder dry.........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Skychief said:
Outstanding Nit wit ...

Those funky chickens are the Rodney Dangerfields of decoys......They get no respect, I'm tellin ya, NO RESPECT!
Having been pretty skinny most of my life, I can identify with poor old funky chicken.

Here's a short video showing how those big bullies treat him.
(Open it in another tab or window)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRCz9jA-7RQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back