• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernniev

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Please help me with any info on this gun I have inherited from my great grandfather. Maker? County of origin (I think Belgium? Value? Possible to shoot? I know you guys are the experts and I am clearly not, so any info would be great.
IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

The gun was proofed and most likely made in Belgium.

The ELG Star in an ellipse without the crown on top was used from 1811 thru 1892.

The back action lock was popular in the 1840-1860 era which implies the gun was most likely made around that time.

As to whether it is safe to shoot my answer is, "probably" but it really should be checked out by a competent gun smith before it is shot.

Has what appears to be light rifling. I thought the cheek piece was very different from the rest of the guns. Thanks for the info!

The cheek piece was a common item on European shotguns made for Europeans. They were not seen a lot in America.

This shotgun may have traveled here from Europe with a returning GI, as the men often brought home such " trophies" of their time in Europe during and after the war. Families needing money to get a fresh start, and knowing that the guns would be confiscated by Occupying Allied troops anyway, often would "sell" such old guns to GIs for whatever money they could get, and then dig it out of its hiding place to transfer to him. :hmm: :idunno:

Thanks for the info! Now just need to try and find out what the rest of the barrel markings mean, maker and a value.

Back