• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Spring Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon/Iowa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My turkey tag is good this coming Monday- Thursday. Looks like the tag will stay on the side of the refrigerator.
Last week I did the wrong thing, by not paying close attention to what I was doing. Wanted to get a head start on spring yard work, so I took the snow blower off my garden tractor and put the de-thatcher on the back end. Then started on my front HILL.
Down close to the road I had a car go by and looked for a second at it. When I looked back the front tire had come off the ground about six inches. Tried to correct, but to late. Landed on my hip, on the road, and the tractor came down on my foot. Minor cut to the foot, but a broken hip. Had surgery on April 1st, and learning to move around with a walker since.
Tried to tell the wife, that I was learning to fly, but that gravity had other plans.
Saw the doctor yesterday and she said NO, to hunting turkey or morrells.
I wish everyone luck that goes. Leon

Sorry to hear about that. Amazing how quickly something like that can happen no matter how careful one is trying to be. Could be any one of us.

Too bad you can't find a partner and rent one of those powered wheel chairs with tracks on it for outdoor use.

Broken hips take a while to heal. I hope it's a short time in your case.

You may have to check out your state's disabled hunts for this fall.

Do the rehab and you'll be OK in a few months.

Yesterday the doctor said that I was doing great with recovery. Moveing about with a walker, and streaching the leg. Just going to take some time to mend. Big problem is my work shop is in the basement, and I am upstairs. Got a rifle down there that I want to work on. Maybe in a few weeks. Leon

Well, RATS, Leon! :idunno:

Sorry to hear this. There have been several of us here in similar situations, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Do what the Doc suggests (mostly). :wink:

Get well soon, Skychief.

Ron I an sorry for your run of bad luck. I had a knee replaced a few years ago so I feel your pain. Tell you what ,with your permission I will take your spirit to the turkey woods with me and see if we can get a nice tom . Tom

Well the tag I HAD was for seasoe one. (April 13-16) The wife taking good care of me, run it through the shredder this morning. That way, there is no temptation, for me to try and get out. After 42 years of marriage, I think she knows me well. I think I will try fall turkey hunting this year.
Tom, good luck on getting one. Leon

Oh Leon! I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune! I am an RN and I know how much your situation sucks but I am very grateful it isn't worse, you could easily have been killed! :( Rest easy and do what you need to do to get back in shape, there'll be more hunts coming to you in the future!

Damn Leon...been going through some manure myself but think you have me beat ad I don't feel in the mood to try to take the lead! :wink: Heal up there guy...we need you back in the rat race!

Prayers headed your way or a complete recovery Leon. Don't push your luck and get ahead of your self. Just think about all of the fish you will catch in a couple of months, and keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leon I have no idea why I called you Ron (old age I guess) ,well I had you on my mind today .

Back