• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Swabbin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, at the shoot on Sundee, I did swab twice. With a good spit patch, the bore stayed pretty free and clear, but pushin that ball down the last few inches, well, didn't want to go too easy. That's the gritty part, right near the breach.

So, for you guys that spit and blow (if allowable), versus you guys that lube and swab, should I worry about the fouling deep in the bore, or just ignore it and keep on spittin??

Regards, sse

Swab, dagdabit, swab!
Quit listenin' to rollingb, he will corrupt you in a heartbeat.
Look what he did to ME! :curse:
I was perfectly happy with my in-lines and bullets till HE came along, him and that danged birddog6! :(
But nooooooooo, that wasn't good 'nuff, they flat out corrupted me. I not only went back to traditional cappers, but them suckers got me shootin' rock locks and them funny round globes wrapped in a old towel!
Fair warnin' to yeee!
Now seriously I owe those guys and some others a deep debt of gratittude for teaching me so much and I'm havin' a ball (round that is) with them flinters.
You know I'm an unrepentant swabber. My chronograph shows me that ballistics are very much more uniform if you swab the same way beteen shots. Yes it slows the shooting down a bit, but whats fast about muzzle loaders anyway?
I've never had a stuck ball or bullet since I started swabbing, but to each his own.
Thank gawd for differences of opinions hey? Makes for an interesting world. ::

sse,,, It really depends on your circumstances... If your able to swab between shots and you have the time for it, you should swab to keep uniformity between each shot and not change up everyother shot or two, or three, or four... Your accuracy will suffer by doing this... NOW,,, if your at a doin's, (rendezvous), and your loading from the pouch that is a different story... Some of those shoots are timed events or one on one contest where you do not have time to swab... However, there are references made to, Davy Crockett and other men at a shoot who, "used their wiping sticks between shots"... Do what you feel is best because your the only one who has to be pleased with how your loading process goes... :) :winking:

an' iffn' yer huntin' it don' matter.....lessen' ye be makin' fer haid shots on squirrel!

Vic in th' Ozarks

Makin a hade shot on a tree rat aint no big deal, trick is to figger which ear to put 'er in first. :eek:

Regards, sse

Use a .69 and it won't matter which ear, nor will you be able to tell direction of the shot except for the direction of the flying squirrel. - HA! I stopped barking them when I couldn't find them afterwords without the spaniel. It's a fine line between a 3' long squirrel full of toothpicks and one merely stung. Must have something to do with conifer bark. It was easier back east in the hardwood bush. I do miss it, I do.
Daryl

Don't just lick it, soon as you load put a patch in your mouth for the next shot so it will be soaking wet when your ready for it. Your running out of spit before the patch gets to the bottom.

Yeah- "if'n ya done get yer part'ner wet when ya smack yer puncher, if ain't wet 'nuf"- as my brother always says.
Daryl

Latest posts

Back