• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No trophy for me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't draw for a good ML tag this year. So I went on a open cow hunt. I wasn't too picky this year. I took the first one that gave me a shot. This one is a calf. They are about the same size as a large mule deer. My hunting is over. Ron

Elk1small.jpg

Congrats Ron.

Calf elk is one of the two or three best eating meats I've ever had the pleasure of chewing. My last couple of "cow" hunts, I passed on cows and took calves. The freezer racks might not be quite as full, but I'm surely not suffering!

These elk were on the flats this year. Some ranchers said it was due to the amount of wolves. We saw some tracks but I didn't get a chance at a wolf.
This was the first calf I have ever shot. I normally go for a cow that doesn't have a calf by her side. These elk were hard to sneek up on this year. So the ranchers might be right.

We had a catastrophic accident with my stock on my double trigger Renegade. Since it was broken I had to use this single trigger Renegade hunter. I haven't shot for a long time. I was not comfortable with a shot over 100 yards and that was tough to do.
Ron

Congrats! :thumbsup:

That looks like a good hunt and good eating!

Silex

I know someone once said, " why eat poor bull when ye can feast on fat cow" :)

I wish we had some kind of over the counter opportunity here. In NM if i don't draw, I don't go.

Nice job. I love stalking open county like that. I use to bow hunt mule deer in county just like that.

Back