• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-toxic finishes (replacing boiled linseed oil)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comus,

I read somewhere that people have used...don't laugh, Liquid Plumber. I guess it makes a little sense when you think about it. The stuff is made to disolve oils and grease. If I remember correctly the stuff is smeared on and left to sit for a while then the stock is wiped down with water and the whole thing was repeated until the stock was free of oil.

If I'm remembering this right, it was done to an old military rifle (British .303 I think) and those were all oil soaked from the factory finish and then however many years of handling when the soldiers smeared the stock with oil when cleaning it up.

The article I read was on the internet and if I can find it I will post where it's at. It did show a picture of the stripped stock and it looked pretty good. The author cautioned to be careful and to use protective gloves as well as eye protection since the stuff is caustic.

Schützenkette

I presume the active ingredient in Liquid Plumr is Lye....which will definitely dissolve oils....Wear heavy rubber gloves, and don't get it on you! It will eat the fingerprints off your fingers!

it doesn't indicate the existence of any hazardous anything except for the linseed oil itself.
FWIW - pure unadulterated linseed oil IS non-toxic. I take it all the time as it helps immensely with arthritic inflammation - it is sold in health food stores as Flax Seed Oil...

Back