• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Manotou island deer hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one else on here has ever hunted there? I went a couple times and had a real good time, it is located in the middle of lake michigan , near Empire Mi .

It is all primitave type of hunting and you go out for up to 2 weeks if you want and there is no limit on how many deer you get there, it will not count against your regular tags either.
you can hunt with bow in the first hunt, or center fire- Muzzle loader in the second hunt , the hunt is so peaseful and the island is beautiful with alot of history behind it and there are still buildings from the 1800-1900 era , the island was taken over by the Federal government and is now a national park , but it is a good hunt, you got the complete island to your self to hunt.

I would like to set up a hunt in the future for muzzle loader hunt for deer with other members on here if possible , One thing about the hunt is , YOU BRING EVERY THING YOU NEED ,OR YOU GO HUNGERY

you can google it on the web, North Manitou Island deer hunt.

If there are any interested members let me know.

The only fee there is ,is a 25 dollar application fee, but it is a 100 percent you will be chosen to go.
Some people are to lazy to have to lug all there provisions and stuff like they did years ago .

You can use a two wheel buck tote to haul all your stuff on the island also.

It sounds like fun , but i have no one to go with , it would be fun to get a few members to form up and go.

10 point,
Where is Empire, MI located? I have family that lives up in Wellston, MI and I usually visit up there every Christmas. If I could afford the tags and licenses, it might be fun to hook up with you. I am always up for an adventure!

Jeff

up north of traverse city.you take the ferry boat out of SUTTON BAY. TO GET THERE

10_point said:
up north of traverse city.you take the ferry boat out of SUTTON BAY. TO GET THERE
My buddies and I used to do it every year before I joined the Army 15 years ago. Its a great time but you need to prepare and plan everything around the boat ride. You can never have to much. Best of luck to ya from a former Michigan-Man..
Best recommendation is a heavy load capacity deer cart for elk with steel rims no plastic. Avoid the tree stands and hunt ground blinds or sit against a tree or fall down. Avoid the extra weight of the tree stands not worth the squeeze. Pop up ground blind is the ticket in case it rains. Small light weight tent, a buddy style heater and 1 pound propane tanks. And I cant stress this enough a good system to hang deer high in trees and a few large tarps (you used to have to cover the deer for the fairy ride) go a long way. Ohh and a small folding shovel too. Everything we used to take fit into a couple army duffle bags and we took a deer cart each one was to haul gear the others the deer. And make it worth your time and effort avoid bambi and target daddy. Hatchet, and folding saw are great tools too. Ohhh and I almost forgot you have to have a DNR campsite permit or you will be fined. You can get them from any DNR station probally offline now too.

I pretty much hunted around Franks Farm, and lake manitou , you are right about being prepared for this hunt the weather can change real fast in the middle of lake michigan. I would like to go back again.

Yes it is , after spending a week out there and quiet, you get back to the mainland and drive home it seems like such a rush society we live in , people just need to slow down and relax.

I just had to go to Iowa on a delivery for work saturday and what a joke that run was, got around chicago and gary indiana and the damn people would rather run you over , than deal with you.

as for the island . it is beautiful and subcluded for sure.

Latest posts

Back