• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'nother one just done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
This is one of Jim Chambers isac haines kits. 38" Rice barrel in .54 cal. Standard grade curley maple.
The fella that had it built will probably pick this up tonight or tomorrow.
g1.jpg
[/img]
g2.jpg
[/img]
g3.jpg
[/img]
g4.jpg
[/img]
g5.jpg
[/img]

Great Job Mike :hatsoff:
What stain did you use on that?

1 down, 26 more to go! :thumbsup:

Couple more pics
g6.jpg
[/img]
g7.jpg
[/img]
I used some of the alcohol stains that Jim Klien sells. This one is on the red side, I can go a little darker and browner depending on how I mix them up.

Man oh man oh man. Beautiful! Thanks for the pics, Mike. Inspirational.

What do you use to get that finish on the barrel?

Man oh man oh man. Beautiful! Thanks for the pics, Mike. Inspirational.

What do you use to get that finish on the barrel?
LMF let run WAY too far so it pits the surface. Scrub it all off then apply some cheap cold blue then burnish it back till you like what you see.

So let me know when you are ready for your next commission. I am really in deep like and started salivating by the second pix. :peace:

Mike, great looking gun--I really appreciate you and others sharing pictures and techniques. I don't get to see as many contempory guns as I'd like, and the magazines rarely print detained pictures like you've posted. Thanks.

I'm glad you guys enjoy seeing them. many of these get stashed away in colections, never to be seen again.
I know I sure enjoy see both old guns and contemporary guns... Kind of what a web site like this is all about to[url] me.....gettin[/url] to see cool stuff! :front:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the tang carving and the lock panel "beavertails". They look like the ones on a Dickert rifle 9#50 in Rifles of Colonial America by Shumway). Your work shows what can be done with a quality kit by somebody who has a mind of their own and designs in their head.

Does the amount of curl vary much in Chambers kits with "standard" wood?

They usually have a little better curl than this one. In fact, this one looked a little better when I first opened the box. By the time I the time I worked it all down and put the stain on, it was pretty plain.
That's not all bad, I've always felt a gun with good architecture doesn't need alot of curl to stand out. Jim Kits are desighned well enough to accomplish that , I think.

A truly beautiful piece. Your inletting is amazing. The new owner will certainly be proud to carry this handsome flinter. Can you explain in a little more detail what you did with the barrel? Again, a magnificant job and fine photos. :thumbsup:

Mike I know this is an old post but that's one fine looking rifle. Hope I can do half that good someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Thanks, keep your eyes peeled over the next few days for the english wild fowling gun I've been working on for the past six weeks. :thumbsup:

Back