• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novelty Shoots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkshooter308

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What do you guys do for novelty shoots at your events. I am looking for any and all suggestions for an upcoming shoot at our club to benefit Special Wish Foundation. Thanks in advance.

It's really unlimited to what ideas you can come up with. Here are some;

1. Split ball on ax. Use a double edge ax stuck into a stump, then put a sporting clay on each side. The object is to split the ball and break both clays.

2. Put two or three folks on a team and see which team can shoot a 3 inch post in half, first.

3. Hang up some gongs and shoot at them.

4. Tie some charcoal to a string and shoot at them.

5. Tie a rock to a string and see who can shoot the string making the rock drop.

6. Have a night time candle snuffing contest.

7. Set up a mountain man run, using muzzleloader, hawk, knife, pistol, trap setting...

These are just some of the many things you could do? Just use your imagination. Good luck! :thumbsup:

1 targets on a hinge so they fall down with a reset rope attached to a handle.
2 old helium/aceteline/oxygen tanks at 100 yds really ring nice when hit.
3 balloons tied to a string blowing in the wind.
4 copper tubing twisted into a coil and stood up on end with a funnel in the top end, drop a round ball in and make your shot before the ball comes out the bottom, also can be used for a still on the weekends there are no shoots.
5. hang cable between 2 trees and cut a deer out of plywood with a steel gong for a heart, put it on pulleys and make a running deer target.
How far from the Pa state line are you?

Well, lets see....potatoes, onions, carrots, golf balls (glued to a T), Q-tips, matches, moose turds on a tooth pick (can't hit $hit), marshmellows (big and small), plastic spoons, card split, thumb tacks, paint balls glued to a white backstop with silicone, balloons on a string and once you've tried all these easy ones, try straws stuck in a vertical post at a 45 degree angle, those little price tags (about 3/4 - 1" square) dangleing from a string and those fluffy feathers like they use to sign the register at weddings. The balloons and price tags are interesting if there is any wind.

We featured a shoot called "Rabbit and Quail" in last month's Buckskinner, and it was a riot. You place a full beer can/pop can on a fence rail with an empty on top. You then have a rifle shooter and shotgun/trade gun shooter line up. The shotgunner/trade gunner calls "PULL!" and the rifle shooter fires, exploding the full can on the bottom, thus launching the empty high into the air. The shot shooter then tries to hit it. We determined a winner by the number of "innies"--entry holes. It's a good 50/50 mathch, and a LOT OF FUN!!!!!!

Stumblin

It's really unlimited to what ideas you can come up with. Here are some;

1. Split ball on ax. Use a double edge ax stuck into a stump, then put a sporting clay on each side. The object is to split the ball and break both clays.

2. Put two or three folks on a team and see which team can shoot a 3 inch post in half, first.

two of my personal favorites, too, Joe... :redthumb:

I enjoy those two as well, Stumblin. My favorite is the candle snuffing, really like that! The idea of the exploding beer/pop can with an empty on top is one I had not heard of. Sounds interesting partnering up a rifle, and smoothbore shooter. Sounds like fun! :thumbsup:

I can only see one problem. If we did this at our annual Rendezvous, I don't think we'd be able to find a full can of beer, and I don't know if anyone keeps pop in camp??? :haha: Just kidding. Someone would have a can of pop... :thumbsup:

falsears and i tried to work up one at last years free trappers rendezvous, we ended up with what we called the buffalo hunt . It after months of discussion became a situation shoot , I went down to the lumber yard and ask for a donation of any old 4x8 sheets of wood paneling the might have they couldn

"beverage" cans filled with water. Hang them on a string attached to the pop-top. Think you can find some empties around the camp?

Also, my brother sold pumpkins this Halloween. On Nov. 1, we eliminated the left over inventory. A Jack O Lantern Shoot might be a fun fall/pre-deer season event if you could work something out with a farmer or produce vendor in advance. Not a lot of market for pumpkins after Halloween.

Not to mention eggs on golf tees set into holes in a 2x4. Just set it up well away from camp in warm weather.

I like canning lids hung on a piece of string. The slightest breeze make tham spin. Another thing our club uses, is a barrel with both ends cut out. You must shoot prone through the barrel at a target. We lay a stick at the opening of the barrel where your elbows must be, so the muzzle is well inside the barrel.Antother thing we set up a few years ago, was a stationary exercise bicycle. You had to sit on it, and shoot a target while peddling. Hard to do when you are laughing. Another is a horse made from a piece of old tree. You have two shots, with reloading done while sitting on the horse, rifle can't touch the ground. The reins must be held in the teeth when shooting, and they are short enough you are leaned over out of position. We do the ball split on this station. Another is the Mike Fink shoot, with a small swinging target, over the larger "head" target. 2 points for the tin cup, minus one for killing the head. One more is a three sided cabin the Dutchman built, with a bunk in it. This a multiple firearm shoot. You are lying in the bunk with a blanket over you, with a pistol lying on your chest. Start is when a sillouette of an Indian is raised by a pulley in the window in the back of the cabin. After you shoot the Indian, you shoot through loopholes on either corner of the cabin, at two more Indians. Then back to the center, where two steel targets set close together. This shot is taken with a blunderbus, loaded with shot. Last shot is to back out of the cabin, and shoot a grizzly bear just outside of the cabin.
We have been working on upgrading all of our targets for our shoots, so they will make a good loud ding when hit. It eliminates any questions about hits, and people like the sound.

Back