• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novice Guide to Round Ball Casting...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sham66

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!

As I get sucked deeper and deeper into this wonderful hobby/lifestyle, the thoughts of casting my own bullets is crossing my mind. I would like to start with pistol round ball, .454 and or .375 as these are what my guns use. I see Midway USA has the molds, small furnaces, and even lead.

What I would like to know are some of the precautions and other tools that may be needed to undertake this task.

Thanks as usual for any advice.

James

"What I would like to know are some of the precautions and other tools that may be needed to undertake this task."

That is a BIG QUESTION... I will start the ball rolling with:

1. Keep PLENTY of fresh air where casting

2. NEVER allow ANY water or moisture around the molten lead (literally explodes) :nono:

3. Wear glasses when casting

4. Remember, hot lead BURNS! :v

The casting furnaces should tell you exactly how to cast and what accessories you might need.

I have not cast any yet, but will probably go "old school" when I do.... bag mold, candle, and small lead bar... :hatsoff:

Let me know how you make out.... :grin:

Legion

I have used a Lee furnace with a bottom pour, and I much prefer using a propane camp stove, and a ladel to pour with. I set up in my garage with plenty of fresh air, and run about a 100 balls at a time. In fact I think I will get at it this weekend.

I use a Lee bottom melt pour pot - follow the directions on your mold as far how to prepare it.
Follow the precautions mentioned above. As far as equipment - I have metal pans that I put a piece of leather in the bottom (this is to help cushion the lead ball when it drops from the mold). I also have a piece of wooden dowl - at least an inch thick by 8" long (this is to knock back the spur cutter due to the mold being hot - I also will use it to tap the mold as sometimes the ball doesn't drop out). I prefer to wear leather gloves - caution as if they get to feeling hot, it can be to late. I also have a micrometer.
hope this helps

I use a hotplate that I got at Wal-Mart and an aluminum pan that I got at a local thrift store. It only gets hot enough to melt wheel-weights, as opposed to pure lead. One thing to remember when melting metal in a pan is that it is VERY heavy (as compared to food) so be careful when you pick it up, because spilling molten lead on yourself (even just a tiny drop) is many times more painful than a bit of bacon fat. I underestimated the weight of my pan of molten metal the first time I cast my own REAL bullets and nearly spilled it in my lap!

Just be careful when you are casting especially when ther are bugs around. Years ago I was casting some 45-70 bullets in the garage( if you do this you have to install a wall ventilation fan above the bench you are casting at) and a June bug flew into the pot. The melted lead exploded and covered the light,the wall,the ceiling and me. I didn't get burnt to badly because when I cast I wear long sleeved shirts, leather gloves, hard hat, and a full face shield. Just be careful. Side note: I always have a fire extinguisher close by, they don't cost much and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Lone Carabiner said:
Need to use pure lead for any slugs/balls. Wheel weights are harder.

Mox nix in a smooth bore, unless pure lead desired for hunting.

Keep a candle nearby also. A light smoking from the candle lines the mold with soot which helps the balls form and release better.

YOu can see a slight change in color of the lead as it hardens on the top of the srue. Depending on the weight of the ball, give it a few more seconds for the ball to solidify, and you can open the mold. You do it by sight, and by feel, rather than to a fixed timer. Some pots heat hotter than others, so you have a variation in time depending on many factors that prevent there being a set time, or "rule" in how long you wait before opening a mold.

TennesseeJed said:
How long do you allow the balls to cool before you release them from the mould?

I do pretty much what Paul does. I let the sprue solidify then immediately cut it and open the mold. It's pretty obvious when the sprue is solid. The texture will change and usually the lead will dimple a little above the pour hole when it solidifies.

The only time I wait is when I have to skim the top of the pot. I leave the balls in the mold to retain heat until I'm done.

I always overfill my molds (because I am sloppy) and when the extra bit on top of the sprue plate solidifies, I knock the plate open and dump out the ball, then put the little extra bit back into the melting pan. It takes only take a second or two for the metal to cool enough that the ball can be removed. If your mold is not warmed up, the metal will solidify before the mold has even been filled so you will get half-balls and other ugly raisin-looking things.

Mike is right. Probably the single biggest frustration to casting good balls is not having the mold hot enough. Then next would be not having the inside surfaces clean of all oils, or grease, or whatever. Smoking the inside of the mold with soot from a candle does often help get rid of the rinkles once the mold is hot enough. The reason I wait a second or two after the sprue hardens is to allow the much larger ball or bullet in the mold to complete harden, while heating the mold blocks up just a little longer. You will need to develope a rhythm in your casting, which happens after many hours of repeating the procedure- and not much by doing anything else -to get consistent round balls from your mold. YOu have to maintain the core temperature of the molten lead in the pot, so you want to add more lead to the pot when it gets about 1/3 empty, not more, as it would otherwise take much longer to melt the new lead and bring the core temperature back up to standard. While that is going on you want to at least place the mold(s) on the top edge of the pot, so they continue to stay warm. However, You will have to pur several balls and reject them before the mold temperature comes up to required temp. Some casters actually put their molds in the pot on top of the molten lead with the idea that the greater surface area in contact with the hot lead will heat the mold more evenly, and completely. This depends to vary on the size of pot, and the temperature setting you use for the lead you are casting. Alloys use a different temperature for casting than pure lead, usually hotter by a 100 dgrees or more. The scales on the electric pots can not be relied upon, and you will need to purchase a separate thermometer to have any idea what the molten temperature is after the first year of use, or so. This is not a criticism of the manufacturers. All these use a thermocouple, and those T/C's heat up and corrode. As corrosion builds, the readings begin to change. It happens with all melting pots, regardless of brand. Years ago, when I was doing the casting for my father, the electric pot I was using got so bad I had the dial on it set for a temperature that was 300 degrees higher than the recommended setting for lead! If I left the dial indicator at the suggested setting, lead would not even melt! I don't think Dad even thought about contacting the company that made the pot, about installing a new thermocouple, and dial, and he just threw the thing out and bought a new one. Many years later, I learned from a friend who does lots of casting that he routinely sends his pots back to the companies for replacement parts every couple of years,and more often if something gets out of wack sooner. In fact, before you buy a casting pot, you should contact the company and ask what their policy is about fixing these things. You might save a lot of money over the long term.

Back