• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Now why didn't I think of that?!?!?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeToedWolf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

As you know from recent posts I've been looking for a double barreled flintlock shotgun. Sources are almost nil, and when you do find one, either just the barrels are gonna cost you a grand or the entire shotgun will run you $2500 plus. I'm looking to make a saddle cannon that I'm not afraid to ding up, so both of those options are out.

I had a call into the Rifle Shoppe and they called me today. I talked with Jess there and explained my predicament when he gave me an even better option.

He said to me, "Why dont you find you an old modern double, take the barrels off, have the chambers cut off and breech them thataway?"

:shocked2:

Says I, " I can do that?"

Says Jess, "Of course you can!"

:grin:

Says I," what about the breech plate?"

Says he, "Find a piece of 1/8" angle and make one"

:bow:

I have an old 12 gauge double that I bought years ago that the stock is cracked on, so now its on to the project!

BTW, Kudo's to Jess at the Rifle Shoppe for helping me out on this.

Stay tuned.......

Bob :)

There's a Shumway book, I beleive it's called "Re-creating the Muzzleloading Double-Barrel Shotgun", that details how to go about it. I've got a copy around here somewhere.

Been there and done that. I still have over $2500 in this SxS flinter. I used Ithaca Flues barrels in Damascus for this 16ga.Even though used, good barrels are not given away either, even for a project such as this. I also have a 12ga. Damascus barrel here for possible future use, but it appears better if you can get barrels long enough so that you may be able to cut off some of the original breech area that is in a cartridge gun, it get kind of a flair to this area and looks a little odd and makes for one wide across the breech flinter. Of course you will be setting the locks in as much as possible to attempt to narrow it as well. One of the reasons I chose the 16ga. barrels were to attempt to keep this area as narrow as possible. 12ga. can look pretty wide. William Brockway's book is top notch and will show you what I mean.

Well, I'm not looking on using Damascus barrels, and I already have the old shotgun (I think I paid $60 for it), so I don't think I'll have $2500 in this one

Latest posts

Back