• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY smokepole season tommorow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One good thing about Colorado is the ML season is the first one starting Sept 11. The only problem is it can be hot.

Dec in NY is not the greatest weather.

i hunt a TON of public land and carry a smokepole in regular season also, anyone on here is more then welcome to come hunt with me, lots of room at the house and in the woods.

That's a right nice invite. I have the pleasure of stepping out my back door and in a few steps I am in my hunting area. I don't see many large racks, but there is a sweetness about dropping a large bodied deer of either sex on my own 20 acres.

I waited a long time to be able to do this. Something to be said for grabbing a hot cup of coffee and a nap at lunchtime, too. :rotf:

Dec in NY is not the greatest weather

Six or seven years back I shot a buck at about 10:30AM after having plopped myself down before dawn in -15°F temperature. Field dressing him was like sticking my hands in boiling water.

Stumpkiller said:
Not ALL of NY. Only in the Northern Zone. Mine hereabouts is Dec 13 to Dec. 21 (though I use a m/l in regular season, too).
I use my muzzleloader during the regular season also. But it is fun getting up to the Adirondacks for the early ML season.

As Some of you know ML season in New Mexico is over for me. We have a couple of late season hunts but they can be dificult to draw. I always tend to draw the early seasons. This year they were back to back weekends for deer and elk. I love hunting BP but I sure miss hunting in the snow. I love the way the woods feel when there is fresh snow on the ground. there is just something about following a fresh set of tracks and shooting your quarry in the snow. Someday I will make the trek up to a state that lets me shoot whitetails in the snow! Be it bucks or Does, meat is meat !! I am a meatitarian!!!
Good Luck to all of you.

adkmountainken said:
good luck to all going afield tommorow. i will be braving the high winds with a couple good friends and our smokepoles. will carry "Ole Bob" my 56. T.C. smoothbore.
Just out of curiosity do you have a rear sight on that .56? And how well does it shoot roundball? I was just curious because I have that same barrel and shot a couple of roundballs out of it and it actually shot pretty well.

My .56 Renegade shoots roundballs real well, certainly well enough for hunting.

I use patched .550 roundballs over 80 grains of 3f Goex and a cushion wad, but I've heard .530 and .535 balls in thick patching work well too.

Back