• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

% of traditional muzzleloader hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what percentage that we, as traditional muzzleloader hunters, comprise within the entire firearm hunting community? :hmm:

Just wondering on a rainy day, Skychief

That's a good question. I don't know the answer unfortunately. My guess would be under 5%.

Skychief, I don't know how valid this is, but for what it's worth...

From the Conway, Arkansas, newspaper Log Cabin Democrat, an article in 2008 said

"We were a little surprised by a recent nationwide survey by Southwick Associates. It showed that 28 percent of those who pursued America's top big-game quarry used rifles for their deer.

Bows were the second most popular choice, used for deer hunting by 21 percent of survey respondents last season. Muzzleloaders, the choice of 18 percent of hunters surveyed, were not far behind. Fewer hunters used shotguns (15 percent) or handguns (5 percent)."

Spence

Well, looked at from that point of view, there's just you and me, and that's not much of a percentage. :haha: :haha:

Spence

Exclude the primitive weapon seasons here in Alaska, and I bet the number of muzzleloaders drops to about 1%. And the traditionals probably don't make up 10% of those. So call it 1/10 of 1%?

All I know is that in pa during rifle and archery I run into other hunters all the time. In late season flintlock I'm all alone.

Skychief, when I hunted the late ML season, in the Florida panhandle, there were about a dozen of us in the Porter Lake camp and I didn't see any inlines. Back in Brevard County, where I lived and worked, I my have been the only one. Where I live, in Tennessee, a neighbor and I have the only traditional rifles I have seen.....robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Robin, much like around here.

Outside of a small circle of my friends (4-5), almost no one else hunts with traditional muzzleloaders. And that's a BUNCH of other hunters :hmm: .

Best regards, Skychief

If you mean using a sidelock vs. an inline, then that would probably be 25-35% of all muzzleloading hunters. If you are going to get all P.C. and H.C. then only about 4% of muzzleloading hunters.

These numbers were derived by using my own scientific method developed as I was typing. Sample size = 6.

around here the hunters use pump guns rifle or shotgun. I know of one other fellow that hunts with flint. One also with cap (my son). A few (very few) inline's. This is May 1st and I still haven't seen a Deer yet. :( As a matter of fact I think I only heard 3 shots the week of muzzleloader season last year. And two may have been across the river in Ohio.

Larry

I'd have to wager that a good bit of the 18% of those "muzzleloaders", were of a different variety than we are interested in.

Bingo!!!

A few years ago the Fort Sill, OK wildlife folks outlawed the use of inline guns during the first week of deer muzzleloader season. The number of hunters was reduced by about 80 percent.

Last year Fort Sill outlawed the use of inline guns during the entire two week muzzleloader season. The rules are easy: No scopes, no fire sights, Number 11 caps or musket caps only(no 209 primer conversions allowed), conicals or patched round balls only.

i would guess that nationwide about 10 percent of muzzleloader hunters use conventional guns.

I live in Middlebury In(out side of town)that has a population of about 3000 give or take a few and I know of maybe 10 people that own flint or cap lock rifles,but most around here will use some kind of astro blaster of some sort to hunt with but thats there choices. They just dont know what they are missin out on.Curt

:metoo: I agree with Brownbear as well. In the group of hunters I know I would say probably my friends, their kids and their friends is about 20 to 25 people. I am the only one who uses a flintlock or caplock. Most think I am nuts. Scopes and high tech are their way to hunt.

Unfortunately to many it is the kill and not the hunt. You should have seen the looks when I pulled out my new longbow as most are now buying crossbows to complement their 2 pound 40" high tech bow with sight pins galore. :surrender:

Dave

Last time I was drawn for a muzzleloader hunt in Texas that I was able to look at everyone's rifles there were 12 of us hunting. Three used traditional rifles but one of those had a scope mounted on it. Nearly all of the deer shot with the inline rifles were gut shot. One inline killed a deer with a head shot and my Caplock Dixie Mountain Rifle made the only heart lung shot of the hunt.

Back