• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offhand...or Shooting Stick?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm gonna use the .36 flinter and try to call in a gobbler within 50 yards. Will have a couple of hen decoys set up. Will be sittin' on the ground with back to a tree and some palmettos fronds stuck in the ground to provide a little extra cover. As you know, tha hard part with turkeys is geting the gun up to the shoulder without being seen. I wonder if I had the longrifle restin' on a shooting stick it would take less movement to sight on the turkey?

Sitting on the ground, I'd just use a knee. Lots easier to move and no noise. With a small bit of extra practice, sitting and shooting off your knees can be as accurate as any shooting stick ever built. And a shooting stick is just one more thing that might wiggle above the top of your blind or whack something at just the wrong moment.

If you're really set on sticks, I'd just jam several into the ground at strategic locations within easy shooting reach. That will pretty much guarantee the turkey is going to walk up at an angler where you can't use sticks or knees! Funny how that works.... :hmm:

Yeah, I use sticks whenever I'm in my popup blind. They work great but you have to guess at the best spot to be looking at. If your prey doesn't cooperate and forces you to move, which happens more often than not, now your moving yourself, your gun and sticks....

I've been using one of these and recommend it...
Blind from Cabelas
This folds up and fits in the back pocket of my vest. takes seconds to set up and to put away. You can get away with movement to swing your gun. Even had a hen bird walk up to it and look over the top.

Here's my wife using the blind last year. We shot 3 Toms from this spot last year.
IMG_0147.jpg

I've used those for deer and turkey...usually very good...but be aware:

If its windy, and there's quite a bit of slack draped between any two poles, the wind coming and going can catch the slack material and billow it in and out like a kite...the sudden movement can spook game.

Spooked a couple does back the way they had come down a trail just last year on a breezy day...I wasn't going to shoot them but if it had been a good buck I would not have gotten the shot because of that blind...and I figure turkey's will spook even easier...

There is camo netting that is much lighter in weight( to carry) and less likely to billow in any breeze, that can be used. The mistake is to think this is a substitute for brush. Brush should be leaned against such a blind, to give it a more realistic appearance, and keep it from moving in a sudden gust of wind. It doesn't take a lot of brush: just a few sticks, and branches leaned against the netting does the trick.

Remember, only predators have binocular vision, so that the lack of depth perception in prey species is what you are trying to take full advantage. Sticks and brush against your hanging netting give a three dimensional appearance to that otherwise flat surface. There is only so much that camo cloth or netting can do to imitate depth and colors.

47 years hunting turkeys and never needed a blind.

i just put my back to big tree.

we never wore camo clothing like today also.

we would use wear dark clothing.

trust me, i lay my gun on my legs,if he is in range, i pull up quick and shoot.

no turkey is quicker than my draw :rotf:

Think I'll set my low-to-the ground-turkey-huntin'-seat up in the back yard, post a turkey decoy about 25 yards away (as far as I can get in the back yard) and practice dry-firing at the decoy from an off-the-knee rest like you describe. Of course, the neighbors will think I'm nuts... :grin:

Back