• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh, oh, the rumor mill says.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goex might be stopping production of black powder. I've heard the company is up for sale with no takers and Goex's owners put the future of the bussiness on Clear Shot and now there is no Clear Shot.
Also Goex's supply of domestic saltpeter went under and they are now improting from South America.
At least that part is good news and the S.A. product is better than the domestic manure that Goex was using.
Schuetzen and Swiss will be the only black powder available if Goex takes a dive and the supplies of Elephant dry up.
Schuetzen is at least as good as Goex in power and is clenaer burining as Schuetzen uses alder charcoal that is superiopr to the charcrap Goex uses.
Look for Swiss to market NullB as a pan powder this year. It will be superior to any 4fg currently available.
Anyone else heard any of this about Goex?

Well, I just got an email from GOEX... :winking:

Here is what they said about stopping the production of black powder...

Randy, (musketman)

It's kinda funny but these type rumors have been flying around since I can remember. There are those out these that wish to see our demise. I can assure you we fully intend to stay in production. Besides where would our military get powder if we were not here ?

Thanks for your support

Well that's good to hear!!! To be on the safe side I might stock up anyway... This leads me to another topic; If we support the use of these artificial powders, will we be cutting our own throats and someday not have real black powder available to us??? I once stated on this forum that it was nice to have so many "powder" choices. I'm not so sure anymore... I shoot flint and percussion traditional muzzle loaders. To me that says, "use real black powder"... I will continue to use Goex and support any company that makes the real stuff!!!

Joe: We don't have many choices in powder. Clean shot is no more, (or was that Clear Shot?) Pyropoop,& t-7 are really the only two common and somewhat useful faux powders, then there is black with Elephant drying up as it's no longer imported, Swiss at 16 to 20 bucks a pound, Goex, and Schuetzen if you can find it.
Randy: Did you really expect that ANY company would admit to being in the ditch? Of course not. That's just company :bull:. They aren't about to say they are in trouble and niether would I. Keep in mind the company is up for sale and there are NO takers. Why?
I certainly hope they thrive and keep going as the product is better than it has ever been.
I could elaborate but I won't as I will not give up my sources.
Let's just support Goex and buy the product.

Randy: Did you really expect that ANY company would admit to being in the ditch? Of course not.

I was just taking them at face value, I have no other sources outside of contacting them...

I was just passing along their reply...

musketman: I understand you only know what Goex will tell you.
I have really good information and don't want to cause the source any problems.
I'm just passing this along to give black powder shooters a heads up on what might be comming down the road.
I'd hate to see Goex fold up as we have so few black powders to choose from, and as I mentioned the saltpeter they now use is superior to what they had been using.
I'd like to see about 6 or 8 different brands to choose from as competition breeds better products.
After all look what happened to the domestic car market. We built junk and the Japanese and Germans knew that and built better cars. The American big 3 all nearly died and lost HUGE market share to the foreign builders. GM went from 67% of the domestic market in the late 60's and just now struggled back up to a mere 28%.
I'd love to see Goex remain, but if not we will have Scheutzen and Swiss and that's about it. :boohoo:

You may see more people start making their own, like micro-breweries do to augment the beer industry...

Or a muzzleloading shooting club make just enough for their members...

I can see black market-black powder too, I can hear it now... "psst, hey buddy, wanta buy some double-F?" :winking:

Go to the range and see powder scalpers working the fireing line...
"Chech it out, I got your GOEX, I got your Swiss... Hey, I can even get my hands on some DuPont... I got FFg, FFFg and even FFFFg..."

I wouldn't complain if Goex raised their prices to offset their production expenses. I'd sure rather buy a, "two dimensional" real black powder then having to buy a, "one dimensional" want'a'be black powder... My flintlock's are to young to become, "wall hangers"...

Sumbudy sed Mel Gipson iz shootin a en-line muscleloader.....sez he hez to git en line ever time he shoots. Reliable sources sed he ust ta shoot in tha parkin lot, butt since he don went and done thet muvie bout tha Patriot he has ta shoot en line ever time......
Same rumour mill has just upped the price of steel....seems they are buying up the worlds supply because they need it for the construction taking place for the next Olympic Games.
Same for gasoline...gasoline goes up every thursday....'cause they's a weekend coming up.
.......This just in from Chickem Little....The sky is falling! the sky....the sky is falling......

We just received notice from a company named "Olympic Steel" (nothing to do with the games) that steel prices are moving from $0.2295/lb to $0.3895/lb in the next three months - and no contracts over 60 days will be honored.

I'm stocking up on powder - again.

It seems that the Anti Gunners have been making inroads .They are one group pushing for greater control of Black Powder.As they couldn't make much progress by the front door ,they are working the back door,stiffer haz-mat fees and regulations,also more control over the amount and the way it has to be stored.Etc.Etc.I feel this may be why you see more subs on the market,as they will have to cease production and shipping of the real[url] B.P.in[/url] the not too distant future! We all need to keep track of the Antis and their tactics or this may well come to pass.I would hope our fears are unwarranted about Goex but keep watch. :: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
stump killer i work in a iron foundry that has been strugling along,just the scrap iron has gone from $30 a ton to around $100 a ton in the last couple of months.From what i hear the chinnesse are buy up all the iron and steel they can get ther hands on.Off course this will all be passed on to the consummers,thats anything with iron and steel in it.
Or i may be out of a job here soon,guess then id have more time to shoot anyhow.

Latest posts

Back