• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oiling after cleaning.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
what do you guys oil your guns with after you clean them ? I have always used WD-40. Is there anything that works better then this ? Right now on hand I have WD-40,hoppes#9,bore butter,& pure deer tallow. Which of these would work best for oiling/lubing the barrel to prevent rust and protect the barrel. Thanks SS

Don't use WD40 for rust prevention. It doesn't last for very long. For rust prevention simply use any of the good gun oils & preservatives on the market. Stay away from the bore butters & lubes for rust prevention. WD40 is fine for use in the cleaning process but not for rust prevention. Bore butters are a joke for metal protection.

silent sniper said:
what do you guys oil your guns with after you clean them ? I have always used WD-40. Is there anything that works better then this ? Right now on hand I have WD-40,hoppes#9,bore butter,& pure deer tallow. Which of these would work best for oiling/lubing the barrel to prevent rust and protect the barrel. Thanks SS
During the past 18 years I've cleaned my dozen plus muzzleloaders with steaming hot soapy water, bone dried their bores, run sloppy dripping wet WD40 patches down and up a few times, dry patched that out, and then heavily plastered every square inch of the bores with multiple patches heavily gooped up with Natural Lube 1000 (bore butter)...the bores all still look like new today.

You will get a lot of different opinions. Some will tell you not to use this or that! My brother swears by Bore Butter. I use only WD 40 now, and it works for me!

If you get rid of the moisture, prob. any lube will work.

During the past 25 years I've cleaned with warm soapy water, dried the bore, and oiled lightly with Hoppes #9 lubricating oil (or the best gun oil I had to hand). I clean the oil out prior to shooting with dry patches. I have never had to use a "lifetime warrenty" to replace a barrel. I have bought and sold guns, and I know I had one that was just plain wore out.,,,the bores look like they have been cared for proper through many years service and shoot better than most of the people that shoot'm :wink:

It really is about getting rid of the caustic salts from the powder residue,,and drying/getting rid of the moisture. Clean metal is clean, if it's not, there is little you can do to stop corrosion.

Round ball

I do the same thing to my muzzleloaders and all look new. Most of my guns are over 20 to 30 years old and they look new.

But after cleaning I DO SOAK THEM WITH WD-40 and then wipe them off a little before storing them.
Bore butter in the barrel and around the nipple to keep air and moisture out of this area.

do the math

Petrolium products + burnt black powder + sludge

Either make your own all natural bore butter and cleaner from Stumpy's lsit on this board.

or

Thompson Centers 1000+ products

leave all the modern oil stuff for the bullet firearms

I know people say that this shouldn't work but it works for me. I oil my barrels with a mix of 1/2 two stroke motor oil and 1/2 Kerosene. It protects the metal and doesn't affect the shooting.

Many Klatch

A hot water wash and rinse, drying patches and then use Oxyoke 1000 in the bore, all the metal surfaces and the stock. Have been doing this since 1978 and all the MLers have had no rust whatsoever. I guess getting all the moisture out of the bore is no.1 and using very hot water to heat all the steel parts evaporates any moisture. Many different ideas on how to avoid rust in a MLer and most seem to work.....Fred

WD-40 is a water displacement fluid not a rust preventive material. The "WD" in WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement". For rust prevention, go to your local sporting goods store and buy some "Break Free CLP". The stuff is a fantastic rust preventive. The CLP stands for "Cleaning, Lubricating and Protecting". Get it, it is good stuff. :thumbsup:

Cold water and soap, dry with patches, liberal WD-40, dry patches again, Birchwood Casey Sheath Oil, then prior to shooting dry patch it again......................works for me! Don't you just love everyone's 2 cents worth??? Good luck!

For short term, I use Ballistol. Even with the humidity caused by my evaporative cooler, it stays rust free. I don't trust it for long term storage though. I will always use a specialty rust proofer like CorrosionX. That stuff is amazing and outperforms stuff like CLP many times over. I've heard that Barricade is pretty good too and I've started testing it, but haven't had enough long term experience with it to have an opinion.

I've used 3 in 1 Oil for 35 years and it works great. And for inside the lock 3 in 1 Sewing Machine Oil is great even in very cold weather.

Just remember that no matter what kind you use, if you put it on kind of heavy and you store your gun standing on its butt for a period of time, any excess will eventually find its way to the breech and can build up, so you want to be sure to wipe it out and make sure it's clear before you load. If not, you're going to have mis-fires and hang-fires till you do.

I like 3 in 1 too. I have tried some of the newer "Latest and Greatest" over the last 40 years or so but keep coming back to the 3 in 1. It's cheap and it works plus I like the smell.

There you have it! No consensus on lube but full agreement on two principles. 1. clean with soap and water; that's all you need. 2. make sure your bore is DRY.

necchi said:
"...I have never had to use a "lifetime warrenty" to replace a barrel..."

T/C doesn't replace barrels simply because people don't take care of them...they do replace barrels if they have manufacturing defects

After cleaning and drying I use Birchwood-Casey
Sheath/Barricade and 24 hours later, run another patch down w/ Sheath/B.

Some body better call the makes of WD40 before they get sued for false advertising.they do say PROTECTS against rust and corrosion items like tool firearms sporting equipment. not just displaces moisture. Has anyone had a firearm ruined by just using WD40. with all the years that I have been using it during competive shooting and hunting in the rain. I have yet to have a rust problem. I also do and have used 3-1 oil Ballistol and Fabulous blaster PB. w/ no ill effects. On my black powder guns I clean what ever is in them out w/ windshiled washer fluid or what ever I am using at the time before I shoot

Back