• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK.... So the Powder Goes in the Powder Horn...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
... where does everything else go?

I can't imagine just throwing bullets, patches, and a powder measure into a possibles bag. Not sure if I even want a possibles bag, to be honest.

Let's say I want to carry four extra patches (lubed) and four balls. Where should they go? I do have patching material tied to my horn for spit lubing should it come to that, but I'm mainly concerned about transporting greasy patches without making a mess, and keeping soft lead balls from being dented any more than they must be.

Thanks,

Josh

I've been using a loading board. It holds the patched balls. (6) I do use a possible bag though. I like them. I also carry a sammich and a Snickers. :grin:

Use a loading block. This way you have the ball and lubed patch ready with no mess. Just place on end of barrel and start(after pouring in the powder first :wink: ) If you want more balls put them in a leather bag. They won't get out of round.

For hunting, I'm still a pocket guy. I wear loose clothing and separate all the different components in designated pockets. Balls in the left hand pants pocket, loose caps and a couple of cleaning patches in my right hand pants pocket, powder flask in left back pants pocket, short starter in right bottom shirt pocket, paper cartriges in left bottom shirt pocket, and lubed patches stored in a cap tin in top left shirt pocket. I use this same set-up every year, and practice right before hunting using the same system. I never have to think where my shooting stuff is when I'm reloading while watching an animal that I just shot.

I love using paper cartridges for a quick reload. Not quite as accurate as a regular patched round ball load, but accurate enough, and fast loading enough, for a quick second shot if needed. Just tear the paper, push the whole thing in the barrel, ram home with ramrod, then cap or prime. Bill

PICT0397.jpg

I made a small hunting bag that carries premeasured cartridges or a powder measure. Cut, lubed patches travel in an old musket cap tin while ball is carried in a small pouch or tube, etc. Everything is easy to get to and nothing gets damaged. I carry a horn if much shooting is anticipated.

The loading block is a good idea, you can make yer own; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...atId=2&subId=188&styleId=915&partNum=BLOCK-50
Lubed patches fit quite handily in an empty caps tin. Or even a sandwich bag.
A guy should have a capper, Ted Cash makes several kinds, or a make it yourself leather capper.
Tie the short starter to your horn strap too.

Or, basically use yer pockets. I'm like hanshi and made a really small pouch, it's a belt bag really.

Last edited by a moderator:
A loading block is a great way to carry some patched round balls. A possibles bag makes it easy for me not to forget the items that I need to take with me. Grab gun, grab possibles bag and powder horn and I am ready to go.

Yep, loading blocks are handy, especially with the small calibers and cold hands.

Once I started using a shooting bag I had to admit it worked a lot better.

For a long time I just shoved things in various pockets. You never seen such elbow flapping and pocket slapping when I was in a hurry!!! :shocked2: Or heard such cussing. :grin: It seemed like every time I loaded my pockets I put things in different places, and whatever I needed was always at the bottom of a different pocket.

Worse yet, I always seemed to leave something home. With a shooting bag I don't forget stuff, and it's always in the same place when I need it. I now have one for each rifle, and I'm looking for excuses to make more.

Did anyone mention that it's sure fun to make this stuff for yourself? They were lying. It's addictive! :rotf:

I don't like the idea of lubed patches loose in my bag, either. So, I put my pre-cut lubed patches in a circular tin and that goes in my bag. My balls go in a soft leather ball-bag that hangs across my shoulders and on my left side, opposite my rifle bag.

Other than the range where a box of stuff works great I use a belt pouch for hunting. The smallest possible everything is my preference.

I use a small belt/fanny type pouch to hold what's needed and use speed loaders for pre-loads and usually carry 5 with more in the truck. My pouch has 1 large and 1 small pocket. I picked it up at an amry/navy supply store.

Contents: Cleaning patches in a sandwich bag. Small dropper bottle of denatured alcohol; small folding toothbrush,pipe cleaner, extra flint and short screwdriver.

Use a ball block( Loading block) to carry pre-cut, pre-lubed PRBs for hunting. Pre-measure powder charges and carry them in separate tubes. You can make them from wood, metal, adapt them from plastic tubes, or buy them.

I have several tubes from Cigars that I cut down and fitted to carry charges of powder for my rifle. They are easily carried in a pocket, or a small hunting pouch.

I carry cleaning patches in a small plastic bag when hunting, to keep them dry, in a cargo pocket, along with several sheets of paper toweling to clean my hands and the gun after its fired. If I am hunting with my percussion shotgun, I carry the capper in my back jeans pocket, where I carry it every time I hunt, and at the range, too.

When I carried a hunting pouch, powder horn, powder measure, screwdrivers, jags, extra balls in a leather bag, short starter,pre-lubed patches in a tin, cleaning patches in another tin, needle-nose pliers, caps in a tin, and a few other odds and ends, such as ear plugs, and toothpicks, and pins to replace any pin that may be lost from my rifle, etc.... That BAG became a LOT OF DEAD weight.

After hunting that way for a few years, I began eliminating all the things I had never NEEDED in the field, putting them in the range box I leave in the trunk or back of my car/truck/SUV.

The Ball block has proven the BEST addition to my gear to save time and space to reload in the field. I don't carry more than 3 balls in a block when deer hunting. I used to carry more than 20 in my ball bag.

I am coning the muzzles of my guns to eliminate the need to carry a Short-Starter in the field.

I do sometimes use a small belt-sized hunting pouch these days that I bought from October Country many years ago. But, I also have simply put my components in the cargo pockets of my hunting vest for easy access, particularly when the weather is inclement. I even remember to take a cloth towel in one of those pockets to use to dry my face and glasses in the event of rain/mist, fog, etc.

I have no problem dressing up in my buckskins with my beautiful powder horns, and hunting pouch with all the gear, together with my hand-made knife and throwing hawk in my belt, or sash, for parades, or for public demonstrations and Rendezvous. That's part of the fun.

But, lugging all that stuff around in the woods when I am hunting IS NO FUN anymore.

Its even less fun when you are trying to haul all that stuff, AND Drag a deer out of the woods to your car, and that entails climbing up 200 feet in elevation and down again, while covering almost 2 miles to get back to your car! I learned then to NOT haul all that gear on a hunt, and that the old adage, " Shoot the little ones,or shoot 'em close to camp!" turned out to be very good advice. :shocked2: :haha: :grin: :bow: :thumbsup:

Loading block is good for a limited number of shots. If I am carrying a bag, like for a woodswalk, everything just goes loose in the bag (except caps). I spit lube my patches then so I don't have to worry about a separate container for patches. I have in the past carried pre-lubed patches in the patch box, but that was just another step/motion to go through so I just spit and cut at the muzzle.

I hate to admit this but I tried to make a loading block once. I did it as instructions suggested. I still screwed it up. Or at least it didn't work. See, I'm not the worlds best craftsman but am in the running for worst. I have eschewed loading blocks ever since. :idunno:

hanshi said:
I hate to admit this but I tried to make a loading block once. I did it as instructions suggested. I still screwed it up. Or at least it didn't work. See, I'm not the worlds best craftsman but am in the running for worst. I have eschewed loading blocks ever since. :idunno:
To make a loading block, all you need is the capability to drill holes. That's it.

You can make the block (piece of wood) as fancy as you like, or put a string on it, but it's just a piece of wood with holes in it.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192279/

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an Altoids or similar tin and burn the paint off for that old time look, but be careful, the metal is thin, then you have a container that holds patches, balls, caps, etc. I pour my lube into empty cap tins and that lasts for dozens of shots. Design yourself a shooting bag that is big enough for all these supplies but isn't so large as to be cumbersome and you'll look the part soon enough.

I like to make everything I can that I use with my MLs rather than buy it. I may try again eventually but I think I am jinxed when it comes to loading blocks. I seem to have 5 thumbs on one hand and 5 pinkies on the other. :haha:

I'm with you. I like handmade stuff myself.

It might not always look good, but at least it's mine. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

Josh Smith said:
... where does everything else go?

I can't imagine just throwing bullets, patches, and a powder measure into a possibles bag. Not sure if I even want a possibles bag, to be honest.

You'd be surprised how well just throwing a handfull of patches and balls in your shooting bag works. That's exactly what I do on a woodswalk where I'll be shooting a lot. I also have a small pouch of tools in the bag and the powder measure is tied to the bag strap by a leather thong. The measure rides inside the bag but can be easily pulled out without even looking.
I carry lubed patches and/or a little lube in a burned Altoid's "smalls" tin.

BTW the shooting bag or hunting bag carries gun supplies. The possibles bag carries lunch and whatever other junk you think you might want along. :wink:

Josh Smith said:
Let's say I want to carry four extra patches (lubed) and four balls. Where should they go? I do have patching material tied to my horn for spit lubing should it come to that, but I'm mainly concerned about transporting greasy patches without making a mess, and keeping soft lead balls from being dented any more than they must be.

Thanks,

Josh

For your purpose a loading block and powder measure could both be attached to your horn strap, even have their own little pockets if the strap is wide enough.

I have tried several ways, but always seem to come back to a shooting bag. I started carrying powder in 30-06 cases with tape covering the mouths, loose balls in a pants pocket, patches and caps in shirt pockets, but if you walk much the tape can come off and no more powder. Then I used a horn (which I still use) and stole a purse from mom...it LOOKED like leather but was plastic and everything rattled as I walked. I kept the purse and lined the bottom with ticking, leaving about 20 balls loose in the bottom, and never had a problem finding them. Patches I carried in a used cap tin, (actually I still do.) Lubed or dry its your call. Caps I tried a capper but it was cheap and gave me nothing but trouble, so back to the tin. A small flat screwdriver to remove the lock, a tiny set of pliers, a nipple wrench and powder measure about completed the ensemble. I finally swapped for a nice leather shooting bag which I use currently.

I tried the speedloaders, they actually work pretty well, they hold a charge of powder, a patched ball, a place for two caps on each loader, and they have a pocket clip so you clip em to your shirt like a pen. I had a loading block, but it always seemed to get in the way, bump into something or make too much noise so I gave it up.

Basically asking what and how you carry your shooting supplies is like asking if you prefer blondes to brunettes or redheads....its a matter of choice. So do some experimenting....with your muzzleloading supplies! :rotf:

Eterry

Latest posts

Back