• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canemminor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old one with what I believe to be a douglas barrel (based uopn what Iv'e read here). My fathe caried it hunting for many years and now I have it. It still shoots tight groups but there is light pitting for about the last 8 inches before the muzzle. It becomes very hard to put a tight patched ball down the barrel after the second shot. Is tere a way to lessen that situation without resorting to cleaning the bore every shot. Are there any "smiths" out there who can freshen a .50 barrel out to .52 or .54?

You may just need to try out some different lubes. Fouling in the barrel tends to change with climatic changes so what is happening now may not be an issue in another 3 months.

just run about 200 - 300 passes with jb bore polishing compound. its in the white bottle with blue lettering. Its non abrasive so you dont have to worry about ending up with a smooth bore LOL.

It is probably fouling that is getting you. I agree, try changing lubes and even different powder charges or types of powder. Anyhow, I think it is fouling.

JB is good stuff, but any and all, polish is abrasive. If it wasn't, it wouldn't polish. If there is easy to see pitting, there are few simple cures. To remove them, means removing steel to below the level of the pits. Steel wool, or scotch brite might be worth a try, if you could round the edges of the pits with such, it may help, but the best cure would be to have it re-cut, or replaced.

Last fall I restored a CVA mountain rifle with the Made in USA barrel. It was so badly rusted that you could not even tell there was rifling in the barrel. I throughly cleaned the bore. Oiled it and poured two lead lapping slugs. The first I used with lapping compound the second with polishing compound. The gun now shoots tight groups and the patches can be reused!Weaher the barrels are Douglas or Sharon is debated, The prototype had douglas but the production is uncertain.But either way they are great barrels!
:hmm: :hmm:

Back