• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes and sites

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjr902

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I find the older I get, the harder it is to see the front site on my muzzle loaders. I have a silver blade front site, that I dont see as well as I'd like. I bought a gold paint pen and "highlighted" the edge of the blade facing me. The gold is better, but not great when light is getting low. I would like to stay traditional, but I also want to make good clean shots while deer hunting. Suggestions?

I have a M/L that I play with and I painted the front sight with a white glow paint and took a file and opened the rear buck horn style sight. It worked for me and I am considering doing that to several others.
It's not period correct, that's for sure, but it worked for me. Now if I can only quit shaking.

The Hermit

Once I had cataract surgery I found I needed to widen the rear sight so I could see the front...Everything up close is fuzzy and it was keeping me from seeing the front sight...

Back