• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old fashioned powder grading nomenclature?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timemeddler

32 Cal
Reaction score
I know the F grade system is a relatively modern standard and I'm sure this is an old question. I remember reading somewhere that powder quality used to be graded a more generically, that the high end stuff was called sporting powder and the cruddy stuff was called musket powder and there might have been a standard grade in between. Now I can't find any word on the subject so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me?

I know the F grade system is a relatively modern standard and I'm sure this is an old question. I remember reading somewhere that powder quality used to be graded a more generically, that the high end stuff was called sporting powder and the cruddy stuff was called musket powder and there might have been a standard grade in between. Now I can't find any word on the subject so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me?
Well, the F system is for size of granulation. The rest of your post/question is referencing quality. Two different things.
I'm not sure what the official designations were, if any, for either quality or granulation.
In period journals and accounts a have read, "fine rifle powder," "the finest powder," "musket powder," "gun powder," "powder," and "rifle powder." Just off the top of my head by memory.
So, does "fine" refer to quality or granulation,,,, or both?

Well, the F system is for size of granulation. The rest of your post/question is referencing quality. Two different things.
I'm not sure what the official designations were, if any, for either quality or granulation.
In period journals and accounts a have read, "fine rifle powder," "the finest powder," "musket powder," "gun powder," "powder," and "rifle powder." Just off the top of my head by memory.
So, does "fine" refer to quality or granulation,,,, or both?
I think in this case it was only a reference to quality, since I recall at the time mentioning swiss was the only maker of true sporting grade powder still around.

Back