• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old style lock, will T/C replace?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I called T/C up and explained that there was alot of delay between firing the lock and the gun going off. Told them I heard it was becuase I have their old style lock.

So I asked that if I send the gun back will they replace the lock with the new style?

The ladies response was to send the gun in so they can determine its not some other problem.

Now I have heard that they will swap out the lock from one poster on this forumm but what say the rest of you?

Id hate to spend 60 bucks shipping this thing to just get the old lock back! Maybe its better for me to bite the bullet and get that L&R replacement lock on my own?

Spend the money to ship that gun to T/C. I guarantee you when they ship it back, it will be in tip top shape. They will replace whatever they need to to get that gun shooting right, including the barrel if need be. :thumbsup:

Well that is my other concern about the barrel. It is not a T/C barrel. Its a green mountain barrel.

When dealing with issues with centerfire rifles and manafactuers seems as though if anything is changed from origanl configuration they will send it back stating the modification is the problem. I once had a gun that was keyholing bullets. Gun people called me back telling me that I had to pay for a new trigger cause I had a trigger job done to it!

And no I dont have the original T/C barrel.

Call T/C and see if they will send you a pre-postage paid shipping label, you never know unless you ask.

Have you thought about finding someone else with a good working lock and giving it a try just to see if there isn't some other issue there? Too bad we're not closer I'd let you try some of mine but it's a long way to Kodiak Island.

Near as I can tell Im about the only one around with a flintlock. Ive only seen one other guy with a flintlock in my muzzleloader club and his isnt a T/C.

I have a old TC lock on my .50 hawken.It has never given me any trouble. But I bought the new Hammer and touch Hole liner for it. Haven't put it on yet. I got them from Log Cabin Supply in Lodi, Ohio. The hammer was 10.00, that is the most important improvement. Your old jaw&screw will not fit the new hammer,wrong treads, jaw fit. The only other thing you might have to change would be the frizzen. Might be cheaper to do it your self. Here's there ph no.330-948-1082. Can't remember what the liner cost. I had to go back and get the top jaw and screw. Dilly

pm ROUNDBALL and ask him what he thinks, he is knowegeable on t/c hawkins.

i think new locks,hammer is longer,is all but i have friends that have old lock and it works ok for them and they wont send theirs in .

old hammer would hit frizzen different than new hammer, i think.

both worked.

Without even calling them, I just sent my old style flintlock to them with a note explaning that it didn't spark well. Within a week, I got a new one in the mail, no questions, no hassle, and best of all, no charge. TC's service is second to none.

Last Oct. I sent my TC Hawken flinter to TC so they could check the lock. They not only replaced the lock with a new one, they installed new triggers. My cost...... $18.00 for shipping!!!!! They even paid for the return shipping & sent it back in a new box!! Also a short note saying they were sorry I'd had trouble with the lock!!! The Hawken was made in 1977!!!To say that TC stands behind their products is an understatement. Great company to do business with.You don't need to ship the barrel, just ship the stock with lock& triggers.

Rather then sending the whole gun, just send the lock. That way there won't be a question about the barrel. I sent my lock only to get the new works, frizzen, etc. and they replaced the parts and sent it back. When I had called them, I told them I did not want to send the whole gun because of cost and the fact that I would be needing it in competiton (used as a percussion). Worked out great. TC has a great customer service policy that can't be beat.

That's my experience, hope it helps, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I agree and thats what I did.NO phone calls.Sent just the lock (about $2.50) and got a new lock in a couple weeks.No questions asked!Note saying bad spark or poor spark.

Thompson/Center Customer Service
PO Box 5002
Farmington Road
Rochester, NH 03866

The Hock shop flint locks, lock is in the mail to them. I didn't send the the rifle. Your thread made me think, maybe I should have. I can't believe a company with that kinda warranty, but the fine people on this forum steered me in the right direction. If you don't try it, you'll never know. Luck to you, Mac.

The L&R replacement lock is pretty tough to install IMO.

T/C is really hurting right now. Maybe they are just fixing what's broke these days instead of handing out free stuff.

Couple years ago I returned an old style lock to TC, explained that ignition was getting rather erratic and likely needed a new frizzen as it was getting worn down, and that was the only written information I gave.

About two weeks later I got a (new) new style lock from them.

-----just send the lock--back in 73 I droped my lock and stripped the innerds sent it to T.C. explaining that I dropped it and wanted it repaired--tell me what it cost--in one week to the day I had a new lock with a letter apologizing fno cost-----and that was with me telling them that I dropped it-----or it breaking--

Back